Solve Non-Linear DEs w/ Many Consts Using Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of non-linear differential equations using Mathematica. The process involves setting expressions equal to zero to indicate a steady state process and finding steady state conditions. However, solving the system can be a burdensome calculation and may require alternative methods.
IWhitematter
How can a system of non-linear differential equations be solved using Mathematica?

More specifically, I understand the process that needs to be executed, but I don't understand how to make it work syntactically.

The process as I understand it:

Four expressions are given in four unknowns. Let the unknowns be expressed as x[n]. Each expression has three or less constant terms, which I'll just express as a[n]. These expressions are determined from an ideal, physical system which is being considered, so the constants can all be manipulated through experiment.

dx[2]/dt == a[1]x[3] - a[2]x[2] - a[3]x[2] == 0

dx[3]/dt == a[4]x[4]/(a[5] - x[4]) - a[6]x[3] == 0

dx[1]/dt == a[7]x[4]/(a[8] - x[4]) - a[9]x[1] == 0

x[4]/a[10] == (x[2]/a[11])^n/(1+(x[2]/a[11])^n

To make the situation simpler, the top three differential expressions are set equal to zero to indicate a steady state process, so now I'm interested in what constitutes steady state conditions.

In particular, I would like to get an expression in the form f(x[1]) = g(x[1]), where f(x[1]) is simply x[1]. Then, I can plot both f and g on a graph and find their points of intersection.

My problem is that this is a burdensome calculation and I have no idea how to set a system like this up to be solved in the way described. I've looked up several function definitions on Wolfram help forums, including solve, eliminate, reduce and a few others, but none of the calculations simplified anything.

Is there an alternative method?

Physics news on Phys.org

IWhitematter said:
How can a system of non-linear differential equations be solved using Mathematica?
dx[2]/dt == a[1]x[3] - a[2]x[2] - a[3]x[2] == 0

dx[3]/dt == a[4]x[4]/(a[5] - x[4]) - a[6]x[3] == 0

dx[1]/dt == a[7]x[4]/(a[8] - x[4]) - a[9]x[1] == 0

x[4]/a[10] == (x[2]/a[11])^n/(1+(x[2]/a[11])^n

To make the situation simpler, the top three differential expressions are set equal to zero to indicate a steady state process, so now I'm interested in what constitutes steady state conditions. ...

Unfortunately I can not realize your goal here.

If you interested in steady state conditions, you have to consider the right equations from the top three expressions + the fourth and try to solve this algebraic system. It’s really easy! (There is misprint in fourth expression! Examine parenthesis.)

Otherwise, you have to consider the left equations from the top three expressions + the fourth and try to solve this differential system. Splitting of this system leads to necessity to solve 3rd order nonlinear ODE - it is problematic in general case. (The simplest case - when n=0 leads to analytic solution)

1. What is a non-linear differential equation (DE)?

A non-linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the derivatives of a dependent variable with respect to one or more independent variables, where the function that defines the relationship between the variables is non-linear. This means that the dependent variable does not vary proportionally to the independent variable, making the equation more complex to solve.

2. How does Mathematica help solve non-linear DEs with many constants?

Mathematica is a powerful software program that uses advanced algorithms and computational tools to solve complex mathematical equations, including non-linear DEs with multiple constants. It provides a user-friendly interface for entering the equation and the values of the constants, and then uses its built-in solver to find the solution.

3. Can Mathematica handle any type of non-linear DE?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool, it does have limitations in terms of the types of equations it can solve. It is best suited for solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs) that have a closed-form solution. It may not be able to solve more complex equations that require numerical methods or other specialized techniques.

4. What are the benefits of using Mathematica to solve non-linear DEs with many constants?

Using Mathematica to solve non-linear DEs with many constants has several benefits. It is a fast and efficient way to find the solution to complex equations, saving time and effort compared to manual calculations. It also allows for the exploration of different values for the constants, making it easier to analyze the behavior of the equation and make predictions.

5. Are there any alternatives to Mathematica for solving non-linear DEs with many constants?

Yes, there are other software programs and tools that can be used to solve non-linear DEs with many constants. Some popular options include MATLAB, Maple, and Wolfram Alpha. Each of these programs has its own strengths and limitations, so it is important to choose the one that best fits your needs and the complexity of the equation you are trying to solve.