Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving I to the I power

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    Solving "I" to the "I" power

What is the proper formula to calculate "I" to the "I" power? I have seen numerous formulas, however, I was curious if someone could provide me with the simplest solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Solving "I" to the "I" power

In complex analysis, the (multi-valued) function [itex]x^y[/itex] is defined to be [itex]\exp(y \log x)[/itex]....

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Note that [itex]i=e^{\frac{\pi i}{2}}[/itex], so [itex]i^{i}=e^{i\frac{\pi i}{2}}[/itex]

5. Jul 14, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hunt_mat, that's only half the story. As Hurkyl noted, the complex exponential is multiple-valued, so we must not forget that.

6. Jul 14, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A typo: it's the logarithm that's multiple valued :smile: but you knew that of course.

Anyway, while it is certainly true that [itex]a^b[/itex] has multiple values for complex numbers, mathematicians sometimes pick one value as a principal value. That is, they define

[tex]a^b=e^{bLog(a)}[/tex]

where Log is the principal branch of the logarithm, which is not multivalued (since we restricted it).

We consider the principal values of [itex]a^b[/itex] in the Riemann-zeta function, for example, where

[tex]\zeta (z)=\sum{\frac{1}{n^z}}[/tex]

there we take the exponentiation to be the principal value, and not the multi-valued one. The value

[tex]i^i=e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

that hunt_mat gave was the principal value. If you type i^i in google, you will see that they also return the principal value.

I'm not saying that anybody did anything wrong here. But I just wanted to tell the OP that there are multiple values of ab, but that we often restrict these multiple values to get a principal value.

7. Jul 14, 2011 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

How about
    [tex]
    i^{i}=e^{i\left(\frac{i\pi}{2}+2n\pi i \right)}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook