1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving in intervals

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

Trying to revise and I came across this question:

Solve the eqn cosec^2x = (3cotx + 4)/2, giving all values of x in the interval 0 < x < 2pi in radians to two dp.

I ended up with two principal values/angles (working in degrees at the moment), which are:

tan^-1(x) = 26.6 deg. and tan^-1(x) = -63.4 deg.

i used the formula pv + 180n, and got the right answers for -63.4 deg, which are:

2.03 rad and 5.18 rad, but when I applied the same forumla to solve tan^-1(x) = 26.6 deg

I got one wrong answer to the mark scheme: 6.74 rad (supposed to be 0.46 rad) but one right answer: 3.61 rad.

Completely confused on this as I'm sure I didn't misuse the formula.:confused:

Any suggestions on this would be great!
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    I think you are on the right track. The problem with 6.74 is that it doesn't fit in your interval. Keep in mind that you are dealing with radians and that 2 pi radians will take you all the way around the unit circle once. Try subtracting 2 pi from your answer (6.74) and look at what you get.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?