Solving inequalities, need some confirmation

In summary, the solutions to the given inequalities are -2/3 < x < 3/2, -8 < x < 0, and -4.14 < x < 2.414 respectively. The first inequality was solved by factoring and finding the values where the expression is equal to 0. The second inequality was rewritten in a simpler form and the regions where it holds were determined by considering the signs of each factor. The third inequality has no real roots and therefore the entire range of x-values satisfies the inequality.
ability
I have these three inequalities that I am supposed to solve, I think I came up with the right answer but I'm not even 100% sure it's in the correct format.

A. 6x^2 < 6+5x
my work:
6x^2-5x-6 < 0
solutions are then 3/2 and -2/3
so the answer I got is:
-2/3 < x < 3/2

B. x^2+8x > 0
my work:
soutions I got were 0, -8
so my answer is:
-8 < x < 0

C. (x+2)(x^2-x+1) > 0
my work:
x+2 > 0 and x^2-x+1 > 0
solutions are then -.414 and 2.414
so my answer is:
-4.14 < x < 2.414

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first one looks fine...

ability said:
B. x^2+8x > 0
my work:
soutions I got were 0, -8
so my answer is:
-8 < x < 0

[tex]y = x^2+8x[/tex]

Opens up...the vertex is at (-4, -16)...you found the zeros at 0 and -8.
Graph this...Now find the parts of the graph that are BIGGER than 0...in other words, what parts of the graph are above the x-axis?

C. (x+2)(x^2-x+1) > 0
my work:
x+2 > 0 and x^2-x+1 > 0
solutions are then -.414 and 2.414
so my answer is:
-4.14 < x < 2.414

This has only one zero...x = -2.
[tex]
x^2 - x +1 = (x - 1/2)^2 + 3/4
[/tex]

Which is clearly always above the x-axis and so you have no real roots...

So to the left of ( -2, 0)...for example x = -3, what would your expression evaluate to? A positive or negative number?

No, no no!
I'll take B for you:
[tex]x^{2}+8x>0[/tex]
This can be rewritten as:
[tex]x(x+8)>0[/tex]

What you call "solutions", are the solutions to the equation [tex]x^{2}+8x=0[/tex]
These values are important in determining the regions of x-values where the INEQUALITY holds, but they are by no means indicative of these regions in the manner you think.

Let us go back to:
[tex]x(x+8)>0[/tex]
The left-hand side has two factors.
The product of two numbers are positive if
a) each factor is positive (that is, x>0 AND, x+8>0)
OR
b) each factor is negative (that is, x<0 AND x+8<0)

Try now to identify the regions on the x-axis where the inequality holds!

1. What are inequalities?

Inequalities are mathematical expressions that compare two quantities and indicate that one is greater than, less than, or not equal to the other. They are represented by symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥.

2. How do I solve inequalities?

To solve inequalities, you need to follow the same rules as solving equations, but with one additional step. You can add, subtract, multiply, or divide both sides of the inequality by the same number, as long as you do it to both sides. The only additional step is to flip the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number.

3. What are the different types of inequalities?

The three main types of inequalities are linear inequalities, quadratic inequalities, and rational inequalities. Linear inequalities involve linear functions and have a variable raised to the first power. Quadratic inequalities involve quadratic functions and have a variable raised to the second power. Rational inequalities involve rational functions and have a variable in the denominator.

4. How do I graph inequalities?

To graph inequalities, you first need to solve for the variable and then plot the solution on a number line. If the inequality is strict (< or >), you will use an open circle to represent the solution. If the inequality is inclusive (≤ or ≥), you will use a closed circle to represent the solution. You can then shade the area between the two points to show all possible solutions.

5. Can I solve inequalities with more than one variable?

Yes, you can solve inequalities with more than one variable, but the process may be more complex. You will need to use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination to solve for one variable and then use the same steps as you would for a single variable inequality. The final solution will typically be represented as a region on a coordinate plane.