Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Inequalities

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    Hey..This is a question I am having difficulty in solving.
    4x[tex]\angle[/tex]2x+1[tex]\leq[/tex]3x+2

First I removed the "1"from the centre. Then I tried eliminating the X's from both sides, but that did not work. Could someone help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Solve [itex]4x<2x+1[/itex] and [itex]2x+1\leq 3x+2[/itex] separately. I would express both solutions sets as intervals. Then if both inequalities must be satisfied, what would you have to do with the two solution sets you found?

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3
    so when i solve the 1st part i get x is less than 0.5. And when i solve the 2nd part, i got X is greater than/ equal to -1
    so the solution set for the 2nd part is (-infi, -1}. I'm not sure about the solution set of the 1st part..

5. Jan 14, 2008 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right.

Wrong. If [itex]x\geq-1[/itex] then the solution set is [itex][-1,\infty)[/itex].

But you practically have it. You already said that [itex]x<0.5[/itex]. How do you write down the interval containing all the numbers that are less than 0.5?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?