Solving Inequality: sqrt(x-1)+sqrt(x-3)+8>0

• Thread starter yoleven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the problem is to solve the inequality \sqrt{x-1}+\sqrt{x-3}+8 > 0 and find the value of x. The attempt at a solution was to square both sides, but this led to a messy trinomial. Instead, the correct approach is to consider the domain of the expression, which is x >= 3. Therefore, the solution is x E [3, infinity).
yoleven

Homework Statement

sqrt(x-1)+sqrt(x-3)+8>0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would square everything to get rid of the root signs...leaving me with
(x-1)+(x-3)+64>0
2x+60>0
x>30
ss:{xE[30,Infinity)}

However, the answer is supposed to be..
[3,infinity)
Please tell me what I am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is your problem right?

[tex]\sqrt{x-1}+\sqrt{x-3}+8 > 0[/tex]

If you "square both sides" you will not get: (x-1)+(x-3)+64>0 !

Look at http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/squizzes/algebra/expand3.html" web page. The same rules shown there will apply if you square

[tex]\sqrt{x-1}+\sqrt{x-3}+8[/tex]

Only, think of [tex]\sqrt{x-1}=a[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{x-3}=b[/tex] and 8=c.

As you can see, when you square a trinomial you may end up with a big mess.

You can solve this problem by thinking about it for a bit. For this to be true:

we know that

[tex]\sqrt{x-1}+\sqrt{x-3}> -8[/tex]

Well, when are square roots ever negative?
So, what restrictions should you place on X?

Last edited by a moderator:
futurebird said:
This is your problem right?

If you "square both sides" you will not get: (x-1)+(x-3)+64>0 !

Look at http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/squizzes/algebra/expand3.html" web page. The same rules shown there will apply if you square

[tex]\sqrt{x-1}+\sqrt{x-3}+8[/tex]

Only, think of [tex]\sqrt{x-1}=a[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{x-3}=b[/tex] and 8=c.

As you can see, when you square a trinomial you may end up with a big mess.

You can solve this problem by thinking about it for a bit. For this to be true:

we know that

[tex]\sqrt{x-1}+\sqrt{x-3}> -8[/tex]

Well, when are square roots ever negative?
So, what restrictions should you place on X?

Okay, I didn't recognize it as a trinomial. If x is less than 3 the equation won't work, right?
All I have to do is recognize what the minumum x must be so that I am not taking a sqrt of a negative number. Is that correct?

If the equation was sqrt(x-5)+sqrt(x-9)+14>0 would I be correct in stating that xE[9,infinity)
because then I am not taking the sqrt of a negative number. Is that all I have to do for this kind of problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised you hadn't gotten a reply by now...

Yes, you are correct. In this particular situation, since the square root operation only gives results that are positive or zero, the left-hand side of

[tex]
\sqrt{x-1}+\sqrt{x-3}+8 > 0
[/tex]

couldn't possibly be less than 8. So plainly the left-hand side is always greater than zero.

So what is the only problem you could run into? That the terms on the left-hand side be undefined. The first term is only defined for [tex]x - 1 \geq 0[/tex] and the second term, for [tex]x - 3 \geq 0[/tex]. The intersection of those sets is [tex]x \geq 3[/tex]. You can make a similar argument for the inequality you suggested, for which you found [tex]x \geq 9[/tex].

sqrt(x-1) + sqrt(x-3) + 8 > 0

Well it will always be greater than 0, in fact always greater than or equal to 8 atleast, since the roots cannot be negative

now just consider the domain x >=3 ... because of the roots again
And that's your answer x E [3, infinity)

Just find the domain and you've got your answer. You don't need to square or move anything around.

Thank you.

What is the first step in solving this inequality?

The first step is to isolate the radical terms on one side of the inequality and move all other terms to the other side. In this case, we can subtract 8 from both sides to get sqrt(x-1)+sqrt(x-3)>-8.

Why do we need to isolate the radical terms?

Isolating the radical terms allows us to square both sides of the inequality without changing the direction of the inequality sign. This is necessary because we cannot square a radical expression that has more than one term.

What do we do after isolating the radical terms?

After isolating the radical terms, we can square both sides of the inequality to get rid of the square roots. This will leave us with a polynomial inequality that can be solved using traditional algebraic methods.

How do we check our answer?

After solving the inequality and finding a solution, we can plug in the value(s) into the original inequality to make sure it satisfies the inequality. If it does, then our solution is correct. If not, then we need to recheck our steps or try a different method.

Are there any restrictions on the variable x?

Yes, there are restrictions on the variable x in this inequality. Since we cannot take the square root of a negative number, the expression inside the square root must be greater than or equal to 0. This means that x-1 and x-3 must be greater than or equal to 0. Therefore, x must be greater than or equal to 3.