Solving integral equations

• Thread starter potetochippu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integral equation by rewriting it as an initial value problem. The fundamental theorem of calculus is mentioned as a potential approach, and the suggestion is made to differentiate both sides of the equation and find the value of y(1).
potetochippu

Homework Statement

Solve the following integrale equation by rewriting them as initial value problems:

y(x) = 2 + ∫(y(t))^2dt -this is a definite integral with limits from 1 to x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to approach this question at all because my textbooks did not cover this topic and I couldn't find any examples on the internet either. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the fundamental theorem of calculus. I think it'll become clearer once you look it over.

I am not sure what you are asking about. Can you explain what is the meaning of "rewriting them as initial value problems"?

Differentiate both sides of the equation! What is y(1)?

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is an equation in which an unknown function appears under an integral sign. It is a mathematical concept used to describe a relationship between a function and its integral.

2. Why are integral equations important in scientific research?

Integral equations are important in scientific research because they provide a powerful mathematical tool for solving real-world problems. They are used to model a variety of phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How are integral equations solved?

There are various methods for solving integral equations, including the method of successive approximations, the method of separation of variables, and the method of eigenfunction expansion. The choice of method depends on the type of integral equation and the specific problem being solved.

4. What are some applications of integral equations?

Integral equations have numerous applications in areas such as signal processing, image processing, mechanics, electromagnetics, and finance. They are also used in solving boundary value problems and in studying the behavior of physical systems.

5. Can integral equations be solved analytically?

In some cases, integral equations can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms, Fourier transforms, and Green's functions. However, for more complex problems, numerical methods are often used to find approximate solutions.