Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving inverse trig functions

1. Aug 30, 2004 #1
    Supposing I need to solve a problem like: sec(arctan 2) or cos(2arcsin(5/13)), is there a method I could use that would not require a calculator? What I mean is that for an example like tan(arccos .5), the answer is "simple" because I know the arc cosine of .5 is pi/3 and then the tan of pi/3 is the squareroot of 3. But in a problem like the two above, how would I go about doing this where the numbers are more complicated and I want to do it by hand? Or is it impossible without the use of a calculator?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's one way: In the case of sec(atan(2)) draw a right triangle and label one of the angles, say A. Label the side opposite A with 2 and the side adjacent to it with 1. Clearly, A is an angle whose tangent is 2. What's the secant of this angle? Use Pythagoras to find the length of the hypotenuse and divide it by 1 (adjacent side) to find sec(A) = sec(atan(2)).

You can do similar things for your other example by applying well known trig identities.
  4. Aug 30, 2004 #3
    I see what you're getting at. Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?