Solving Kinematics homework

In summary, the conversation involves a physics problem where a ball is dropped from a height and the goal is to calculate the distance it travels before passing a point where Superman is flying. The solution involves using the quadratic formula to find the time it takes for the ball to reach that point and then using that time to calculate the distance traveled. The final answer is 278.25m above the sidewalk.
Falinox

Homework Statement

Phyque.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/reddiesel08/Phyque.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution
∆x = ∆x
v₀ + .5(a)(t²) = v(t)
.5(9.8)t² = 35t
4.9t² - 35t = 0 Using the quadratic formula I get
t = 7.95 sec

∆x = v(t)
35(7.95) = 278.25m

Need help setting up and solving the problem, thanks in advance to anyone willing to help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

35/4.9 ≈ 7.143 s.

Why use the quadratic formula? -- although it should give the right answer. (35 ± √(352-0) )/(2(4.9))

You've calculated the distance the ball travels from the drop point to the point where it passes superman. The problem however asks you determine how far above the sidewalk the ball is when it passes superman.

Thanks everyone! I was able to figure it out.

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve this kinematics problem on your own. It shows that you are actively engaging with the material and trying to understand it. Now, let's go through your solution and make sure we have everything set up correctly.

Firstly, it is important to clearly define all the variables in the problem. In this case, we have ∆x representing the displacement (or change in position), v₀ representing the initial velocity, a representing the acceleration, t representing time, and v(t) representing the final velocity.

Next, we need to identify the given values in the problem. From the given image, we can see that ∆x = 35m, v₀ = 0 (since the object is initially at rest), and a = 9.8m/s² (assuming we are on Earth).

Now, we can use the kinematic equations to set up our problem. The first equation, ∆x = v₀t + .5at², relates displacement, initial velocity, acceleration, and time. Plugging in our given values, we get:

35 = (0)t + .5(9.8)t²

This simplifies to:

4.9t² = 35

Next, we can use the second kinematic equation, v = v₀ + at, to find the final velocity. Plugging in our given values, we get:

v = 0 + (9.8)t

This simplifies to:

v(t) = 9.8t

Now, we can use our known value for ∆x and our equation for v(t) to solve for t. Plugging in our given value for ∆x, we get:

35 = 9.8t

Solving for t, we get:

t = 35/9.8 = 3.57 seconds

However, this value only gives us the time it takes for the object to reach the displacement of 35m. The problem asks for the total time it takes for the object to travel 35m and then return to its original position. This means we need to double our calculated time of 3.57 seconds, giving us a total time of 7.14 seconds.

Finally, we can use our calculated value for t to find the final velocity. Plugging in our calculated value for t into our equation for v(t), we get:

v

1. How do I approach solving kinematics problems?

When solving kinematics problems, it is important to first identify the known and unknown variables, as well as the type of motion (constant velocity or accelerated motion). Then, use the appropriate kinematic equations to solve for the unknown variable.

2. What are the most common kinematic equations used in solving homework problems?

The most commonly used kinematic equations are the equations for constant velocity (v = d/t) and accelerated motion (v = u + at, d = ut + 1/2at^2, v^2 = u^2 + 2ad), where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, d is displacement, and t is time.

3. How do I determine the direction of motion in kinematics problems?

The direction of motion is determined by the sign of the velocity and acceleration. If both are positive, the object is moving in the positive direction. If both are negative, the object is moving in the negative direction. If velocity is positive and acceleration is negative, the object is slowing down; if velocity is negative and acceleration is positive, the object is speeding up.

4. What should I do if the units in the problem are not consistent?

If the units in the problem are not consistent, you should convert them to the same unit before using the kinematic equations. For example, if distance is given in meters and time is given in seconds, convert distance to meters and time to seconds before solving the problem.

5. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

To check your answer, you can use the kinematic equations to calculate a different variable and see if it matches the given value. You can also use the equations of motion to create a position-time or velocity-time graph and compare it to the problem's given graph.