Solving Laplace's equation using conformal mapping

In summary, the individual is attempting to use conformal mapping to solve for a function u(x,y) satisfying Laplace's equation on the outside of the unit circle with specific boundary conditions. They have tried using a linear fractional transformation and an elliptic integral transformation, but these have not simplified the boundary conditions as expected. They are seeking suggestions for alternative transformations or methods to achieve their goal.
lonewolf5999
I'm trying to use conformal mapping to solve for a function u(x,y) satisfying Laplace's equation ∇2u = 0 on the outside of the unit circle (i.e. the complement of the unit disk), with boundary conditions:

u = 1 on the unit circle in the first quadrant,
u = 0 on the rest of the unit circle.

To start with, I'm trying to simplify the boundary conditions by conformal mapping, so I first tried mapping the outside of the unit circle to the upper half plane with a linear fractional transformation w = -i(z-1)/(z+1), and then sending the upper half plane to the rectangle using an elliptic integral transformation W(w) = ∫ dt/sqrt[(1-t2)(1-k2t2)], integrated from 0 to w.

I did this because I was trying to send the unit circle in the first quadrant to one full edge of the rectangle, and the same for the part of the unit circle in the other quadrants, but that doesn't seem to work, because after doing the elliptic integral transformation, it turns out the unit circle in the first quadrant gets sent to only half of the bottom edge of the rectangle, so that doesn't simplify my boundary conditions much. Rotating the unit circle before transforming it doesn't seem to help either, since none of the quarter-circles are sent to a full edge of the rectangle.

Any suggestions on how I can proceed, or what other sorts of transformations would help me simplify the boundary conditions, would be helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org

I would recommend first checking your calculations and transformations to ensure they are correct. It is possible that there may be an error in your process that is causing the boundary conditions to not simplify as expected.

If your calculations are correct, you may want to consider using a different conformal mapping that can better simplify the boundary conditions. You could also try breaking up the unit circle into multiple sections and mapping each section separately to see if that helps.

Another option could be to use a different method to solve Laplace's equation on the outside of the unit circle, such as the method of images or separation of variables.

It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or mathematicians who have experience with conformal mapping and solving Laplace's equation for guidance and suggestions. Collaboration and feedback from others can often lead to new insights and solutions.

Overall, it is important to carefully analyze and troubleshoot your approach, and to be open to trying different methods and seeking assistance when needed. Good luck with your research!

1. What is Laplace's equation and why is it important?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of steady-state systems. It is important because it is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer.

2. What is conformal mapping and how is it used to solve Laplace's equation?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to map one complex plane onto another while preserving angles. It is used to transform the geometry of a system into a simpler form, making it easier to solve Laplace's equation.

3. What are some common applications of solving Laplace's equation using conformal mapping?

Some common applications include solving problems in electrostatics, fluid flow, and heat conduction. It is also used in the design and analysis of various electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors.

4. Can conformal mapping always be used to solve Laplace's equation?

No, conformal mapping can only be used to solve Laplace's equation in certain cases where the system has certain symmetries or can be simplified into a conformal form. In some cases, other techniques such as separation of variables or numerical methods may be necessary.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using conformal mapping to solve Laplace's equation?

One limitation is that conformal mapping can only be applied to two-dimensional problems. Additionally, finding an appropriate conformal mapping can be a difficult and time-consuming task. It also requires a good understanding of complex analysis and mathematical techniques.