Solving Linear Equations: A Guide to Mastering Homework Problems

In summary: Thank you so much for the help, it was really helpful.In summary, Nathan17 was trying to solve the equation -4x+5=12-3x-14, but got stuck. He tried multiplying by 6, but it led to a mistake. He then tried a different method, but still couldn't solve the equation. He was then helped by another user who provided a summary of the content.
nathan17

Homework Statement

Solve these linear equations:

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{x-4}{6} - \frac{x+5}{3} = \frac{4-x}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Multiplied by 6
[tex]\frac{6x-18}{6} - \frac{6x+30}{3} = \frac{24-6x}{2}[/tex]
Simplified
[tex]x-18-2x+30 =12-6x[/tex]
Group common terms
[tex]-2x+12=12-6x[/tex]
Group common terms
[tex]4x+12=12[/tex]
[tex]4x[/tex]

I don't think, well I'm pretty sure it isn't right. I'm not sure when I've gone wrong. I can do simpler linear equations, but this has got me stumped. If anyone can provide any insight that would be great. I haven't done linear equations for a few years now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nathan17! :smile:
nathan17 said:
Multiplied by 6
[tex]\frac{6x-18}{6} - \frac{6x+30}{3} = \frac{24-6x}{2}[/tex]

Sorry, but this is a really silly way of doing it, because it's so likely to lead to a mistake (in this case, you've put 6 x 4 = 18) :redface:

To multiply (x+5)/3 by 6, just multiply the "/3" by 6 to give 2 (in your head), and then multiply the (x+5) by the 2. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Sorry, but this is a really silly way of doing it, because it's so likely to lead to a mistake (in this case, you've put 6 x 4 = 18) :redface:

That's okay, I don't mind the feedback, good or bad, it all helps in the end! Heh, spend a few hours doing maths, you wouldn't think you would slip up on something so small..Sometimes it is the small things that get past though I guess.

What annoyed me a bit was that the book chapter on linear equations was only a few pages long, and didn't really go into much detail about equations like this one, so it made it a little bit difficult to understand what needed to be done.

If there is an easier way to go about this, I am open to suggestions because, after taking your advice, I still think I'm doing it wrong.

[tex]x-24 - 2x+10 = 12-6x[/tex]
[tex]-2x-14 = 12-6x[/tex]
[tex]4x-14=12[/tex]
[tex]4x = 26[/tex]
[tex]x = 6.5[/tex]

Once again, I don't mind taking criticism for my work, otherwise, how else would I learn.

mmm … getting worse! :rolleyes: ……

do it this way (and use brackets):

the (x-4) gets multiplied by 1, the (x+5) gets multiplied by 2, and the (4-x) gets multiplied by 3 :smile:

(btw, are you sure it's x-4 and 4-x ?)

tiny-tim said:

mmm … getting worse! :rolleyes: ……

do it this way (and use brackets):

the (x-4) gets multiplied by 1, the (x+5) gets multiplied by 2, and the (4-x) gets multiplied by 3 :smile:

(btw, are you sure it's x-4 and 4-x ?)

Haha, not only do I manage to not get the answer, but I get worse :P

Yeah, it's x-4 and 4-x.
I'm kind of afraid to post what I got because I know it's going to be wrong again lol.

[tex](x - 4) - (2x + 10) = 12 - 3x[/tex]
[tex]-2x + 6 = 12 - 3x[/tex]
[tex]-2x = 6 - 3x[/tex]
[tex]x = 6[/tex]

If that's not right, maybe I should sleep on it and see how I go tomorrow. I think binary maths overloaded my brain a bit too much.

I hope I'm not frustrating you too much trying to explain it to me heheh

he he :biggrin:

still wrong! :rolleyes:

(x - 4) - (2x + 10) = -x + 6 :wink:

Yes, get some sleep! :zzz:

tiny-tim said:
he he :biggrin:

still wrong! :rolleyes:

(x - 4) - (2x + 10) = -x + 6 :wink:

Yes, get some sleep! :zzz:

Haha. Okay, just to clarify. (x - 4) - (2x + 10) = -x + 6. That is because it's divided by 2?

Nathan17 said:
Haha. Okay, just to clarify. (x - 4) - (2x + 10) = -x + 6. That is because it's divided by 2?
There are two problems here.
  1. The left side of the preceding equation does not simplify to -x + 6. You are partially ignoring the "-" in front of the second pair of parentheses.
  2. One side of the original equation seems to have been lost in the shuffle.

Starting from the following equation, which is equivalent to the original equation, we have:
(x - 4) - (2x + 10) = 12 - 3x
x - 4 - 2x - 10 = 12 - 3x
-x - 14 = 12 - 3x
Can you continue from here?

nathan17 said:

Seriously …

get some sleep! :zzz: …

it'll all make sense in the morning! o:)

Mark44 said:
Starting from the following equation, which is equivalent to the original equation, we have:
(x - 4) - (2x + 10) = 12 - 3x
x - 4 - 2x - 10 = 12 - 3x
-x - 14 = 12 - 3x
Can you continue from here?

Okay, sorry about the late reply, been busy with study and everything.[tex]1(x-4)-2(x+5)=3(4-x)[/tex]
[tex](x-4)-(2x+10)=12-3x[/tex]
[tex]x-4-2x-10=12-3x[/tex]
[tex]-x-14=12-3x[/tex]
[tex]-x = 26 - 3x[/tex]
[tex]2x = 26[/tex]
[tex]x = 13[/tex]

Is that the solution to the problem?

Last edited:
That's exactly right. :)

muso07 said:
That's exactly right. :)

Haha! I just got the email saying there was a reply.. I was just about to post saying I give up, but finally, lol.. I have to say thanks to everyone here because, I really couldn't do it without the help.

I'm starting to get it now, hopefully by the time the test comes I will understand it more!

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which each term is either a constant or a product of a constant and a single variable. The highest exponent of the variable in a linear equation is one.

How do you solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means using operations that undo each other, such as addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, or exponentiation and logarithms.

What is the difference between an equation and an expression?

An equation is a statement that two expressions are equal, while an expression is a mathematical phrase that can contain numbers, variables, and operators but does not have an equal sign.

Why is it important to solve linear equations?

Solving linear equations is essential in many areas of mathematics, science, and engineering. It allows us to find values for variables in a given situation and make predictions based on these values. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables and how they affect each other.

Can linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. An equation with one solution means that there is a unique value for the variable that satisfies the equation. An equation with infinite solutions means that any value for the variable will make the equation true. An equation with no solutions means that there is no value for the variable that satisfies the equation.