1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving logarithmic equations

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    0ops.. The title should read solving logs..
    Mod note: Fixed.

the original dosage contains 280 MBq of Iodine-131. If none is lost from the body, then after 6 hr there are 274 MBq of iodine-131. What is the half life of iodine I-131?

2. Relevant equations

Logcx=y

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to put
    274=280(1/2)^t/6 in and solve for t. But now I know it can't be right because it is not halving every 6 hrs.. However I don't know how you would figure it out. Can someone give me a hint?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2
    The concentration varies with time according to the equation [itex]I=I_0e^{-kt}[/itex], where k is a constant that you need to determine from the data: -kt = ln(I/I0). Once k is known, find the time at which I is equal to half of I0: -kt1/2=ln(1/2)

4. Nov 11, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put ##D = D_0 (1/2)^{t/c},## where ##D =## dosage after t hours, ##D_0 = ## initial dosage (at t = 0) and ##c## is a constant. You are given ##D_0 = 280##, and at t = 6 you have ##D = 274##. You have enough information to find ##c##.

5. Nov 11, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The radioactivity will follow the decay law 280*(1/2)^(t/k). k is the half life. You want to solve for k, not put k=6.

6. Nov 12, 2013 #5
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted