1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving logarithmic equations

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine at which points the graphs of the given pair of functions intersect:

f(x) = 3x and g(x) = 2x2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I have to equate and solve for x so I converted them to logarithms

log3x = log2x2

Don't know if that's right, but I am stuck here, do I use the change of base formula ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With that subscript in there not clear what you mean by "converted them to logarithms". The correct thing to do is to try to solve the equation log(f(x))=log(g(x)). ##\log 3^x=\log 2^{x^2}##. The 'log' can be any base you like. Just use the rules of logarithms to solve that equation.

4. Apr 13, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You cannot just replace exponentials by logarithms, it won't work. There is a way to solve it, but then your steps have to be valid transformations.
    That is a good idea, you can do it with the exponentials as well.

5. Apr 13, 2014 #4
    log3x = log2x2

log3x = 2log2x

Using the change of base formula

log2x/log23 = 2log2x............stuck here

6. Apr 13, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

2x2 means 2(x2), not (2x)2, your first step does not work.

What is log(3x) simplified?

7. Apr 14, 2014 #6
    xlog3 = x^2log2

log3 = xlog2

x = log3/log2

Is that correct ?, also why is the base 10 ?, I thought it was 3 and 2 respectively

8. Apr 14, 2014 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's part of it. The base doesn't have to be 10. If you take ratio log(3)/log(2) in any base you'll get the same number. Can you say why? More importantly, there is another solution. What is it?

9. Apr 14, 2014 #8
    I think the other solution should be x = 0 as well ?, I'm not too sure about why you get the same number, a bit confused, can you explain that please ?

10. Apr 14, 2014 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Starting from [itex]3^x= 2^{x^2}[/itex], you can take the logarithm to any base, "10", "e", whatever, and get [itex]log(3^x)= x log(3)= log(2^{x^2})= x^2 log(2)[/itex]. If x is not 0, you can divide both sides by x log(2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted