Solving Logarithms: Find Where You're Going Wrong

• Thread starter answerseeker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a logarithmic equation and graphing logarithmic functions. The process for solving the equation involves combining logarithms and then undoing them by raising the base to the power of both sides. For graphing logarithmic functions, it is important to switch the x and y coordinates and find the inverse of the function to accurately plot the points.
answerseeker
I can't seem to find where I am going wrong on this Question. it asks to solve:

log_3 (2x+3) - log_3(X+1) = 2 where _3 is the base of 3 for log

so far i moved the log_3(x+1) to the right side of equal sign. then i moved the 2 up as an exponent:

log_3(2x+3) = log_3(x+1)^2 then i canceled the logs out and moved the 2 back down so its :

2x+3 = 2(x+1)

then distributed the 2 to the x+1 , but then the x's cancel.

i think that maybe i should have just left it as (x+1)^2 ? is that where I am going wrong? or do i actually have to divide 2x+3 by x+1 instead of moving the log_3(x+1) over?

Physics news on Phys.org
Logarithms have the property that log(a)-log(b)=log(a/b) if they have the same base. So you do this to combine the logs, next you undo the logs by raising the base of the log to the power of both each side i.e. if log(a/b)=c where c is a constant then a/b=k^c where k is the base of the log. After this it is a matter of algebra.

okay, that's much clearer, thnx.
now I'm a bit confused on how to graph logs.
log_5(y+2)=x+1

What I did, changed the whole equation into Exponential Form. I then graphed that and then switched the X and Y coordinates.

Is that the correct procedure? Do I only interchange the X and Y coordinates once? <not once and the beginning then again after graphing?>

When you switch the y and the x cooridinates to find a solution by graphing, solve for y. Or in other words, find the inverse of the function, and before you do that find out if the function is one-to-one.

1. What are logarithms and how do they work?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that help solve exponential equations. They essentially represent the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. For example, log28 = 3, which means 2 to the power of 3 equals 8.

2. How do I know if I'm solving logarithms correctly?

A common mistake when solving logarithms is not using the correct base or not distributing the logarithm over all the terms inside the parentheses. To ensure you are solving correctly, make sure to follow the rules of logarithms and check your final answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What are some common strategies for solving logarithms?

Some common strategies for solving logarithms include rewriting the equation in exponential form, using log properties to simplify the equation, and solving for the unknown variable by isolating the logarithm on one side of the equation.

4. How can I avoid mistakes when solving logarithms?

To avoid mistakes when solving logarithms, it is important to carefully follow the rules and properties of logarithms, pay attention to the base and exponent of each term, and double check your work by plugging the final answer back into the original equation. It can also be helpful to practice solving various types of logarithm equations to become more familiar with the process.

5. Are there any tips for solving logarithms efficiently?

One tip for solving logarithms efficiently is to first simplify the equation as much as possible by using log properties and rewriting it in exponential form. This can often make the equation easier to solve and reduce the chances of making mistakes. It can also be helpful to memorize common logarithm values, such as log102 = 0.301 and log105 = 0.699, to speed up the process.