Solving Logarithms: Finding the Inverse of g(x)=3+x+e^x

• Thread starter kdinser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with finding the inverse of a function in preparation for returning to school. They are stuck on a problem involving an exponential function and are unsure how to proceed. They receive various suggestions and clarifications from other individuals in the conversation.
kdinser
Greetings all, I'm doing a refresh of calculus and physics in preparation for getting back to school this fall after a 5 year layoff. Most stuff is coming back pretty quickly, but I'm stuck on this one problem. I'm sure I'm missing something small, but I just haven't been able to find any example problems that match this one.

g(x)=3+x+e^x
g(x)=y

I need to find the inverse of this function, which means solving for x. If I take the ln e^x to get x, I'm stuck on the other side with ln (y-3-x)=x I'm not sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since g has x both "inside" and "outside" the exponential, its inverse is not any "elementary" function. Exactly what does the problem ask you to do?

If your finding the root of the equation then you want to find x for:

[tex]3 + x + e^x = 0[/tex]

And I must say I'm a little stumped on how you would work out an exact answer.

if g(x)=3+x+e^x Find g^-1(4)

I'm reading this as "find the inverse g(x) function and then solve it when x=4" The answer in the back of the book shows that it should be 0.

Last edited:
The inverse of g(x = 4) is 1/(7 + e4) though.

that isn't the inverse, that's the reciprocal.

by inspection g(0) = 3+0+e^0 = 4,

(technical note, g is monotone increasing so inverse is well defined)

hence g^{-1}(4) = 0

and similiarly g^{-1}(4+e) = 1

Last edited:
Since it wasn't immediately apparent to me what matt was doing, here's a general point:

For some function f(x),

If:
f(b)=a

Then:
f^{-1} (a) = b

Yep. The problem did NOT ask that you actually find g-1(x),
only that you find g-1(4).

That is exactly the same as solving the equation 3+ x+ ex= 4 or
x+ ex= 1. There is still no general way of solving an equation like that, but you might be as smart as Matt Grime and recognize that if x= 0, e0= 1 so
0+ e0= 1. g-1(4)= 0.

Thanks guys, after thinking about Matt's answer, I'm pretty sure that's what the problem was getting at.

HallsofIvy said:
Yep. The problem did NOT ask that you actually find g-1(x),
only that you find g-1(4).

That is exactly the same as solving the equation 3+ x+ ex= 4 or
x+ ex= 1. There is still no general way of solving an equation like that, but you might be as smart as Matt Grime and recognize that if x= 0, e0= 1 so
0+ e0= 1. g-1(4)= 0.

need help solving a problem can u help

If you will post your problem in a new thread I am sure a lot of people can help.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of an exponent. It is used to solve exponential equations and represents the power to which a base must be raised to equal a given number.

2. How do you find the inverse of a logarithm?

To find the inverse of a logarithm, you need to switch the base and the exponent. In the equation g(x)=3+x+e^x, you would first subtract 3 from both sides to get g(x)-3=x+e^x. Then, you would take the natural logarithm of both sides to get ln(g(x)-3)=ln(x+e^x). Finally, you would switch the base and exponent to get x=g^-1(ln(g(x)-3)).

3. What is the domain of the inverse of a logarithm?

The domain of the inverse of a logarithm is the range of the original logarithm function. In this case, the domain of g(x)=3+x+e^x is all real numbers, so the range of the inverse function would also be all real numbers.

4. Can you solve a logarithm without using a calculator?

Yes, you can solve a logarithm by hand using the properties of logarithms, such as the power rule and the quotient rule. However, for more complex logarithms like g(x)=3+x+e^x, using a calculator will make the process easier and more accurate.

5. What are some real-life applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are commonly used in fields such as finance, biology, and physics. Some examples of real-life applications include calculating interest rates, measuring the pH level of a substance, and determining the magnitude of earthquakes.