1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving logarithms

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1
    Greetings all, I'm doing a refresh of calculus and physics in preparation for getting back to school this fall after a 5 year layoff. Most stuff is coming back pretty quickly, but I'm stuck on this one problem. I'm sure I'm missing something small, but I just haven't been able to find any example problems that match this one.

g(x)=3+x+e^x
    g(x)=y

I need to find the inverse of this function, which means solving for x. If I take the ln e^x to get x, I'm stuck on the other side with ln (y-3-x)=x I'm not sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since g has x both "inside" and "outside" the exponential, its inverse is not any "elementary" function. Exactly what does the problem ask you to do?

4. Apr 11, 2004 #3

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your finding the root of the equation then you want to find x for:

[tex]3 + x + e^x = 0[/tex]

And I must say I'm a little stumped on how you would work out an exact answer.

5. Apr 11, 2004 #4
    if g(x)=3+x+e^x Find g^-1(4)

I'm reading this as "find the inverse g(x) function and then solve it when x=4" The answer in the back of the book shows that it should be 0.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  6. Apr 11, 2004 #5
    The inverse of g(x = 4) is 1/(7 + e4) though.

7. Apr 11, 2004 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that isn't the inverse, that's the reciprocal.

by inspection g(0) = 3+0+e^0 = 4,

(technical note, g is monotone increasing so inverse is well defined)

hence g^{-1}(4) = 0

and similiarly g^{-1}(4+e) = 1

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  8. Apr 11, 2004 #7
    Since it wasn't immediately apparent to me what matt was doing, here's a general point:

For some function f(x),

If:
    f(b)=a

Then:
    f^{-1} (a) = b

9. Apr 11, 2004 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yep. The problem did NOT ask that you actually find g-1(x),
    only that you find g-1(4).

That is exactly the same as solving the equation 3+ x+ ex= 4 or
    x+ ex= 1. There is still no general way of solving an equation like that, but you might be as smart as Matt Grime and recognize that if x= 0, e0= 1 so
    0+ e0= 1. g-1(4)= 0.

10. Apr 11, 2004 #9
    Thanks guys, after thinking about Matt's answer, I'm pretty sure that's what the problem was getting at.

11. Aug 19, 2008 #10
    need help solving a problem can u help

12. Aug 22, 2008 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you will post your problem in a new thread I am sure a lot of people can help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook