1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving MacLaurin Integrals

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that e^x equals its Maclaurin series for all x.
    Use the Maclaurin series for e^(-4 x^4) to evaluate the integral

Your answer will be an infinite series. Use the first two terms to estimate its value.

2. Relevant equations

Inline37.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried using the e^x series above to solve the given series. From what I understand, I am suppose to manipulate the e^x series so that it becomes e^(-4x^4). I am new to these forums, and I don't know another way to show what I'm doing, so I'll post an image of what I have so far (which is incorrect):

Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me what my mistakes are?
    Thanks a lot and sorry if I broke any forum etiquette rules here! It's my first time here. =)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No rules broken. Welcome to the forums! You want (-4*x^4)^n. Not -4*(x^4)^n. You get powers of the -4 as well.

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3
    Hey Dick sorry for the late reply, I had to run out real quick, but I tried your suggestion of (-4x^4)^n. However, I am still getting an incorrect answer. I brought out -1/n! and then integrated (4x^4)^n. Which should give me 4^nx(x^4)^n/4n+1?

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you get powers of the -1 as well. (-1)^n. Your power on the x isn't right either in the integral. You had it right before.

6. Feb 23, 2009 #5
    I'm afraid I don't understand. Can you elaborate on this please?

7. Feb 23, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(-4)^1=-4. (-4)^2=16. (-4)^3=-64. (-4)^4=256. They aren't all the same sign. You can't factor the (-1) out.

8. Feb 23, 2009 #7
    so you're saying I should get (-4x)^(4n+1)/(4n+1)n! ... ?

9. Feb 23, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. (-4x^4)^n=(-4)^n*(x^4)^n=(-4)^n*x^(4n). Now integrate the power.

10. Feb 23, 2009 #9

By integrate the powers you mean -4^n*x^(4n) = -4^(n+1)*x^(4n+1)/(4n+1)n! ...??

Sorry, English is not my native tongue.

11. Feb 23, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By 'power' I meant the x^(4n). Sorry. (-4)^n is a constant in each term. It doesn't depend on x. You only apply the power law to x^(4n).

12. Feb 23, 2009 #11
    Ah, I see it more clearly now, but once I plug in x, which is .1, I should get (-4)^n*(0.1)^(4n+1)/(4n+1)n! I then plugged in 0 and 1 for n to test the first two terms of the series, but my answer came out wrong again. =( Please help.

13. Feb 23, 2009 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show us the first two terms of the series you used and the numbers you got? Remember the first term is n=0. That term is pretty simple.

14. Feb 23, 2009 #13
    Sure, here is what I've done below:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9651/mathhelp.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Feb 23, 2009 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get 0.099992. I didn't round off. Could that be the problem? Otherwise, it looks fine.

16. Feb 23, 2009 #15
    I left off the two at the end when I entered my solution, and webwork counted that as incorrect. I just tried your solution with the extra 2 and now it is correct. Silly webwork. =) Thanks for you patience throughout helping me find this solution. Hopefully we can do business again in the future!

17. Feb 23, 2009 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. You know where to find me. BTW your English is excellent. You even spell words correctly. Native speakers don't do that any more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook