1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving matrix equation Ax=B

1. Dec 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are given matrices A and B:

1 -2 1
    A = 0 0 0
    0 1 1

B = 0

Solve the equation Ax=B

2. Relevant equations

x=A^(-1)*B

3. The attempt at a solution

I carried out exactly the steps required for inverting a matrix. When got to th part where the determinant is calculated, I obtained a zero determinant. I thought this meant that the inverse matrix could not be calculated. This is also the result that an online matrix calculator gave for A. Hence I anwered "unsolvable" in the exam. Yet I was only given 1 out of 3 points.

What should I have done differently?

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fact that A has no inverse means that there exist some vectors B such that
    Ax = B
    is not solvable. However as long as B is in the image of A it is solvable. In particular for this problem notice that A always forces the second coordinate of Ax to be equal to zero - so if B had a nonzero second coordinate the problem would be unsolvable. Luckily B has zero for its second coordinate, so it will turn out that Ax=B is solvable in this case.

As far as figuring out what x can be equal to, you can write down a system of equations from Ax=B which you should be able to solve. Try that and show us what you get!

4. Dec 16, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For any nxn linear system, exactly one of the following statements is true: Ax = b has (i) exactly one solution; (ii) no solutions; or (iii) infinitely many solutions. You chose (ii), but without checking the details. The easiest way is to just write out the equations:
    [tex]1x -2y + 1x = 1\\
    0x+0y+0z=0\\
    0x+1y+1z = 2[/tex]
    The second equation is redundant, so we just have two equations in three unknowns:
    [tex] \begin{array}{rc} x - 2y + z & = 1\\
    y + z &= 2 \end{array}
    [/tex]

5. Dec 17, 2013 #4
    Thanks alot guys! That's actually all familiar stuff to me and it all makes sense now, but for some reason I just can't think straight when it comes to matrices. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted