1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving motion of undamped harmonic oscillator

1. Apr 8, 2004 #1
    The question is: Solve for the motion of the undamped harmonic oscillator with an applied force F, treated in class, when the force is no longer constant but has the form F=F0+kT, where Fo and k are constants. Use the intial conditions x(0)=d and x'(0) =v0.

I'm trying to solve this problem using my notes but I don't see anything like it. What I'm thinking is that I need to find an equation of motion. Something like x(t)=x''+w0^2x=0, x(0)=x''+w0^2x=d, x'(0)=x''+w0^2x=v0. Help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2004 #2
    You will need to end up with an equation of motion, but you can't start with one. You gotta start with what you know, and all you know is force.

Use

[tex]F = m\ddot{x}[/tex]

where F is your given applied force. This gives you a differential equation that you must solve.

cookiemonster

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?