1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Negative Exponents

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    8x^-3 = 64

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried doing all sorts of things, changing 8x^-3 to (1/8x)^3 or trying to get both sides to have the same base, but couldn't get it to work.

The book I am using does not explain how to do so, I have already looked through the whole chapter that the problem is from.

Primarily, I would like assistance in understanding the concepts behind this problem. With the current problem, it is relatively easy to figure out by educated guessing & checking, but when there are more difficult numbers and more challenging problems, guessing and checking won't work. Thanks for the assistance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hint: (x^-3)^3 = ?

4. Oct 23, 2007 #3
    (x^-3)^3 = X^-9 but I'm not quite sure how that helps.

Thanks for the response.

5. Oct 23, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Berkeman meant (x^-3)^(-1/3).

6. Oct 23, 2007 #5
    Got it. I didn't realize you could raise both sides to a power ((-1/3) in this case). Thanks for the help.

7. Oct 23, 2007 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Whoops. Thanks Dick.

8. Oct 24, 2007 #7
    Have you tried dividing both sides by 8?

Then did you try expressing x^-3 as an expression with a positive exponent using the rule a^-b = 1/a^b

9. Oct 24, 2007 #8

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can always raise both sides to the same power.
    In fact this is exactly what you're doing when solving something like
    [tex]3 x^2 = 27[/tex]
    If you divide out the 3 you get
    [tex]x^2 = 9[/tex]
    and you would take the square root to get x = 3 (or - 3 of course). But you can also see it as raising both sides to the power 1/2:
    [tex](x^2)^{1/2} = x^{2 \times 1/2} = x \quad = \quad 9^{1/2} = \sqrt{9}[/tex]
    where the last equality is just a change of notation, so you see that [tex]\sqrt{x} = x^{1/2}[/tex].

But the raising-both-sides-to-a-power-trick works even in the case of negative and fractional exponents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?