Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving non homogeneous ODE

1. Dec 30, 2013 #1
    how do we solve an ODE which has forcing function in terms of Fourier series?
    i have attached a pdf file of the problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

At first you should find the general solution of the homogenous equation.Then you should find the particular solutions of the in-homogenous equations. I use plural words because you have in fact 25 in-homogenous equations with the driving functions being the terms in the Fourier series. That's because the equation is linear and so you can just consider each term the only one which is there and find the particular solution corresponding only to that term and then add the particular solutions together and to the general solution of the homogenous equation to get the answer.

4. Dec 30, 2013 #3
    it will be very laborious right by hand calculation? is it possible to solve on matlab by writing code?

5. Dec 30, 2013 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You're not going to actually solve 25 differential equations!
    Just solve it with n,without giving it specific values,Which means you're going to solve only 2 differential equations one of which is the representative of 24 differential equations.
    But yes,you can solve it with softwares like MatLab too.

6. Dec 31, 2013 #5
    yeah. got it. thanks for helping me Shyan. yes i realized it was silly thing to ask.

Shyan, let say if we have 2 second order simultaneous non homogeneous equations which are coupled, is there any way to solve it?
    i have included a typical problem in an attachment.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook