Can Integration Techniques Solve the ODE y' = ye^(x+y)?

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the student is trying to solve for y in terms of x, but is having trouble. He expresses the integral he has in terms of the Ei function, but is still confused. He eventually solves it in terms of e-x/x, and thanks the person helping him.
brandy

Homework Statement

dy/dx=y*e^(x+y)
solve for y

The Attempt at a Solution

move the y's over to the other side:
dy/(y*e^y)=e^x.dx
then you integrate and this is where i get screwed up.
i use inverse product rule where u=y and v'=e^y, and i also tried u=e^y and v'=y. but this didnt get me anywhere
so i did it again for the integral on the right hand side for each and it still didnt get me anywhere.
HELP!
also, i doubt if id be able to put it back into y= forms so yea could you help with that too? if not it doesn't really matter. primarily its just the integrating i want help with.

Physics news on Phys.org

It's not solvable in terms of elementary functions, but can be done with a special Function. You may have seen the the more common problem [tex]\int \frac{e^x}{x} dx[/tex]. It is defined to be equal to the Exponential Integral function. It's most common definition is [tex]Ei (x) = \int^x_{-\infty} \frac{e^t}{t} dt[/tex].

Can you see how the integral you have is a certain case of that function?

well yea its e^-t
but I am a dummy, i have to solve something this in an exam.
i still don't know how to do it.

whats with the Ei(x) part? and how does this give you the integral

Basically the function you want to integrate, as well as the one I showed you with the e^x on the numerator, both can't actually be done by any normal methods! It has no simple answer, but since it comes up so often we just denote it with a shorter symbol because its useful! Think about it, using the Fundamental theorem of calculus, differentiate Ei (x), what do you get? =]

So now, express the Integral you have in terms of the Ei function.

blarg! I'm sorry, i still don't get it. i think i need a bigger hint as to how to relate it and then what to do from there. I am sorry I am so slow, i really am.

Its ok, many people seem perturbed by the idea of just "naming" a solution. The short story is, the integral you have to work out Can't be done in any normal way. So if you got that one in a test, you should just leave it because its not doable. They will probably make sure in the actual exam they give you possible ones.

oh wait, so if you differentiate Ei(x) then you get ex/x
but what about when its e-x/x
i'm not sure i understand how to relate it.

but you'd just write that the integral of ex/x=Ei(x)? or = that thing you wrote. and would you keep it with respect to t or x.

and we will be getting that exact question in the test, i am 110% sure of this. so :S

Well, the integral you have isn't perfectly Ei(x), but Ei(-x). Can you see why?

yea i can see why.
so would it be
[tex]\int e^(-y) /y * dx [/tex]
= Ei (-y) = [tex]\int [/tex] [tex]^{-y}_{-\infty}[/tex] et /t *dt]

sorry, i don't really know how to use the latex stuff, i have never really used them before.

Well not exactly =[ We're getting variables a bit mixed up here. Look at the definition of Ei i gave, x is a variable in the bounds, not the integrand.

So [tex]
Ei (-x) = \int^{-x}_{-\infty} \frac{e^t}{t} dt
[/tex]

To get that to look like yours (remember indefinite integrals vary by additive constants) let u=-t and simplify.

huh? i didnt put it in the integrand. how can you simplfy that?
and would it become e^-u /-u becaues its e^t/t or because i have a negative x its e^-t /t and therefore it becomes e^u / -u

i'm so sorry, i apologise for my inept brain uut you are really helping me so thankyou. verily much

1. What is an ODE?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. In this case, the ODE is y' = ye^(x+y), where y is the unknown function and y' denotes its derivative with respect to x.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

To solve an ODE, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. In this case, the ODE y' = ye^(x+y) can be solved using separation of variables, which involves separating the variables on either side of the equation and then integrating both sides.

3. What is the significance of e^(x+y) in this ODE?

e^(x+y) is the exponential term in this ODE, and it plays a crucial role in the solution. It represents the rate at which the function y is changing with respect to both x and itself, and it is also known as the "growth factor."

4. Can this ODE be solved analytically?

In most cases, ODEs cannot be solved analytically, but this ODE is an exception. It can be solved analytically using the method of separation of variables, which gives the exact solution in terms of x and y.

5. How can this ODE be applied in real-life situations?

ODEs are used to model various physical phenomena in the natural sciences, engineering, and economics. In this case, the ODE y' = ye^(x+y) can be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, or chemical reactions, among other applications.