Solving Pendulum Question on Physics Quiz: Length 2m, 10 Oscillations in 32 secs

• Thread starter NoHeart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the gravity on a moon based on the oscillation of a pendulum. The formula g=4pi^2L/T^2 is used, but the answer does not match any of the given choices. After examining the calculation, it is determined that the period should be 3.2 seconds, resulting in a gravity of 8.08 m/s^2.
NoHeart
I'm having a problem with just one question on this week's physics quiz-
a pendulum with length 2m on a moon oscillates 10 times in 32 seconds, what is the gravity on this moon?

i know (or thought i knew) how to get the answer to this, with the simple formula g=4pi^2L/T^2

10 oscillations in 32 seconds means a frequency of .32Hz, right? and T=1/f so T=3.125, right?
so when i plug in T as 3.125 and L as 2, i get an answer of 8.08 m/s^2

this is not one of the answer choices, however. my choices are 2.54, 9.86, 7.71, and 3.86
what have i done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct, Your arithmetic is wrong. The Period would be equal to 3.2

10 oscillations in 32 seconds means a frequency of .32Hz, right? and T=1/f so T=3.125, right?
Actually,you are not right.
T=t/r=32/10=3.2 second.

Related to Solving Pendulum Question on Physics Quiz: Length 2m, 10 Oscillations in 32 secs

What is the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period?

The length of a pendulum and its period have an inverse relationship. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

How many oscillations should occur in a given time period for a pendulum with a length of 2m?

For a pendulum with a length of 2m, there should be 10 oscillations in 32 seconds. This can be calculated by dividing the total time (32 seconds) by the period of the pendulum (3.2 seconds).

What is the unit of measurement for the length of a pendulum?

The length of a pendulum is typically measured in meters (m).

How does the acceleration due to gravity affect the period of a pendulum?

The acceleration due to gravity has a direct effect on the period of a pendulum. The higher the acceleration due to gravity, the shorter the period will be, and vice versa.