1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Poisson's equation

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    Hello,

I have a problem seeing how a solution is reached??

The expression is poisson's equation for a positive charge which is debye shielded.

[tex]\nabla . \psi = (2 / \lambda^2) \psi [/tex]

The solution of which is..

[tex]
    \psi = (Q / 4\pi\epsilon r )* exp(-2 \sqrt{r}/\lambda)
    [/tex]

I was hoping I could express this as a Legendre polynomial but alas, this is only for Laplace's equation it seems.

How can I arrive at this solution?

Thanks,

Harry

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does [itex] \psi [/itex] depend upon [itex] \theta [/itex] and [itex]\varphi [/itex] ?

4. Feb 20, 2007 #3
    No [tex] \theta [/tex] or [tex] \varphi [/tex] dependence.

5. Feb 20, 2007 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then the Poisson's eq becomes a second order ODE. Which can be solved.

6. Feb 20, 2007 #5
    Oh :blushing: , yeah, I see that now...

Cheers!

Harry

7. Feb 26, 2007 #6
    What am I missing here...

The first equation expands out to...

V'' + (2/r)V' - (2/c)V = 0

Where I have replaced psi with V.

My standard repository of all mathematical knowledge (Mary L Boas. Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences) only covers ODEs which have constant coefficients.

I'm sure there must be a standard technique out there...

8. Feb 26, 2007 #7
    Well, first thing's first, you have the wrong equation. You have "divergence of scalar equals scalar".

As for your resulting ODE, expand [tex]\phi = \sum_j a_j r^j[/tex]. That should get you a nice recursion relation for the coefficients, and then you're golden.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  9. Feb 26, 2007 #8
    As StatMechGuy said, the equation given isn't Poisson (Laplacian of a function equals something that can only depend on position and time)... and it's weird since a scalar function doesn't have a divergence (did you mean gradient?).

10. Feb 27, 2007 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all

[tex] \nabla^2 \psi(r)=\frac{2}{\lambda^2}\psi(r) [/tex]

is not Poisson equation, but a Helmholtz equation.

It can be written

[tex] \frac{1}{r}\frac{d^2}{dr^2}\left[r\psi(r)\right]=\frac{2}{\lambda^2}\psi(r) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d^2}{dr^2}\left[r\psi(r)\right]=\frac{2}{\lambda^2}\left[r\psi(r)\right] [/tex]

Can you solve it now ?

11. Mar 6, 2007 #10
    Ok I got it (said I.... after a little delay).

Thanks Dextercioby, StatMechGuy and Ahmes, I think thats the first time I've used a series solution in anger.

Oh and yes... I initially wrote the equation down incorrectly.. well done to those who spotted it (sorry).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?