1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Polynomal Equations

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    1. The height,length and width of a small box are consecutive intergers with the height being the smallest of the three dimensions. If the length and width are increased by 1 cm each and the height is doubled, then the volume is increased by 120 cm^3. Find the dimensions of he original small box

2. v=lwh

3. I tried to appoach this two different ways but couldn't get either to work:

1. h = x
    w = x+1
    l= x+2
    therefore (2x)(x+2)(x+3) = 120
    2x^3 + 10x^2+12x-120 = 0
    i tried to use the factor theroem to solve the equation but could not get it to work.
    p{+-1,+-2,+-3...}
    q{+-1,+-2}
    p/q {+-1,+-1/2, +-2, +-3, +-3/2...}

I knowthat in order to solve the question, I am going to need to need to find the roots of the polynomial and therefore have to solve for x. The factor theroem indicates that if i plug in p/q into the above given equation, it will equal zero, and i can finish the question. The only problem i am having is determining which p/q value satisfies the equation. Another solution would be to factor, but i tried that and it ended up being..

2x^2(x+5) + 12(x-10) and since there are no more common factors, it cannot be taken any further. As a result, i am pretty sure i have to use the factor theorem, but i can't figure out what p/q value satisfies the equation

So then i tried (2x)(x+2)(x+3)= 120 + (x)(x+1)(x+2)
    and got..
    x^3+7x^2-10x-120 = 0
    and tried to use factor theorem again but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2
    That second equation is what you need to solve. You made some sort of algebra mistake when you expanded, the answer is a nice integer

4. Feb 21, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your second method is correct. You have made a mistake in your last line though; it should read x^3+7x^2+10x-120 = 0.

Try and find a factor here (it shouldn't take too many tries!) Note that you do not need to try negative values, since x is a length, and a negative length is not physically valid.

5. Feb 21, 2007 #4
    ok i see it now, can't believe i had negative 10x..thanks for the help

6. Feb 21, 2007 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct.

Check your algebra. The "-10x" is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?