Can Substituting -1 for i in Complex Cubic Equations Yield Accurate Solutions?

In summary, James was trying to find the solutions to a polynomial with complex coefficients, but he was lucky that his dodgy maths worked.
Noir
I know this isn't in the right format, but I figured I'd get a better answer here than anywhere else. In my last exam, there was a question asking to prove (a + bi - except there were values for a and b, but i forgot them) was a solution to a polynomial of the 3rd degree.

Said polynomial was complex. I sub'd it in and got 0, so it worked. Here's the catch. To find the other two solutions, I subbed -1 in for i so the equation wasn't complex. I have no idea why I did it, i just remember it working. Lo and behold I got it right, the cubic equation I got had the same solutions as the quadratic you would get if you found used the long division method. I wasn't thinking and didn't want to deal with the i's.

I want to know, does the above methord work? Subbing in -1 for i and then solving? If it does I just went from a B to an A and I'm happy. I tried looking on the internet, but couldn't find anything.

Cheers,

James.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are saying. Do you mean that the coefficients of the polynomial themselves were complex numbers? It would help a lot if you were to show what polynomial you are talking about. In general replacing "i" with "-1" will not give you anything worhwhile ("i" and "-1" are NOT equal and one CANNOT replace the other) so it sounds like you were just lucky in this particular example.

Sorry for any confusion. Much like this equation right here;
z^4 + 3iz^3 - (4 + i)z^2 - 3iz + 3 + i = 0
I think your right; I was just lucky my dodgy maths worked! I don't see how replacing i with -1 would, or even could work now...

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables, coefficients, and exponents, which are combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. The highest exponent in a polynomial is known as the degree of the polynomial.

2. What is the difference between solving a polynomial over C and over R?

Solving a polynomial over C refers to finding all complex solutions, while solving over R refers to finding all real solutions. This is because the set of complex numbers (C) includes all real numbers (R) as well as imaginary numbers.

3. How do you solve a polynomial over C?

To solve a polynomial over C, you can use the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex solutions. You can also use methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the rational root theorem.

4. Why is solving polynomials over C important?

Solving polynomials over C is important because it allows us to find the roots or solutions of a polynomial, which in turn helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of the polynomial. This is useful in many applications, including engineering, physics, and economics.

5. Can polynomials over C have no solutions?

Yes, polynomials over C can have no solutions. This occurs when all the roots of the polynomial are complex numbers and there are no real solutions. However, the fundamental theorem of algebra guarantees that a polynomial of degree n will have exactly n complex solutions, counting multiplicities.