Solving Quad Trig Equations

• Thread starter Veronica_Oles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the problem is to solve the equation cotxcsc2x=2cotx and the solution is x = { π/4, 3π/4, 5π/4, 7π/4}. However, the solutions also include values of π/2 and 3π/2, which may seem confusing. This is because the function cotx has a vertical asymptote at these values, meaning that the function approaches infinity and does not have a defined value at those points. Therefore, the solutions x = π/2 and 3π/2 are not included in the solution set.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

Solve cotxcsc2x=2cotx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cotx(csc2-2)

cotx = 0
x = no solution

x = sin-1(1/√2)

or

x = sin-1(-1/√2)

I come up with the solutions x = { π/4, 3π/4, 5π/4, 7π/4}

However the solutions are telling me that x can also be equal to π/2 and 3π/2 although I have no idea how this could be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:
cotx = 0
x = no solution

This is wrong. What is the value of ##\cot(\pi/2)##?

Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

Solve cotxcsc2x=2cotx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cotx(csc2-2)

cotx = 0
x = no solution

x = sin-1(1/√2)

or

x = sin-1(-1/√2)

I come up with the solutions x = { π/4, 3π/4, 5π/4, 7π/4}

However the solutions are telling me that x can also be equal to π/2 and 3π/2 although I have no idea how this could be?

Your understanding of the function ##\cot x## is faulty; plot the graph ##y = \cot x## for ##0 \leq x \leq 2 \pi## to see what happens at various values of ##x##.

1. What are quad trig equations?

Quad trig equations are mathematical equations that involve both quadratic and trigonometric functions. They typically have the form ax^2 + bx + c = d(sin x)^2 + e(sin x) + f, where a, b, c, d, e, and f are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve quad trig equations?

To solve a quad trig equation, you need to use algebraic techniques to rearrange the equation into a quadratic form, and then use trigonometric identities and the quadratic formula to solve for the variable x.

3. What are some common strategies for solving quad trig equations?

Some common strategies for solving quad trig equations include using the Pythagorean trigonometric identity, substituting trigonometric identities for sine and cosine, and using the quadratic formula.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when solving quad trig equations?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving quad trig equations. These include when the quadratic term is missing, when the quadratic term has a coefficient of 1, and when the equation has a trigonometric function other than sine or cosine.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving quad trig equations?

Quad trig equations have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and astronomy. They can be used to model and solve problems involving motion, forces, and angles in real-world scenarios.