• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Solving quadratic

• Thread starter Ewan_C
  • Start date
[SOLVED] Solving quadratic

1. Homework Statement

1a) Solve f(x) = x^2- 4x+m in the form f(x) = (x-a)^2+ b
1b) What is the smallest value f(x) can have?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

1a) Seems simple enough. I set f(x) to 0 and used the completing the square method to solve. Ended up with f(x)=(x-2)^2+ m-4.

I don’t know how to approach 1b) though. I’m assuming I’ve made a mistake somewhere – there is no smallest value f(x) can have without knowing the value of m. Is there a way to find m that I haven't picked up on, or would the answer just be m - 4?

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

1. Homework Statement

1a) Seems simple enough. I set f(x) to 0 and used the completing the square method to solve. Ended up with f(x)=(x-2)^2+ m-4.

I don’t know how to approach 1b) though. I’m assuming I’ve made a mistake somewhere – there is no smallest value f(x) can have without knowing the value of m. Is there a way to find m that I haven't picked up on, or would the answer just be m - 4?

Thanks for any advice
Looks fine to me.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1. Homework Statement

Thanks for any advice
No, what you have given is fine. No matter what x is (x- 2)2 can never be lower than 0 so f(x)= (x-2)2 + m- 4 can never be lower than m- 4. Since you are not given a specific value of m, that is all you can do.

Okay, thanks for that