Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving questions

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    q1) write out an additiontable for Z2 [tex]\oplus[/tex]Z2

Q2)if a^2=e [tex]\forall[/tex] a in G then g is abelian (solve)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2
    Are you having trouble with (q1)?

For (q2) think of the fact that since a*a=e, for all a in G, a is it's own inverse.

4. Sep 8, 2008 #3
    please clearlly more
    i dont under stand

5. Sep 8, 2008 #4
    first qustion i dont understand it????

6. Sep 11, 2008 #5
    What do elements look like for your first group?

7. Sep 11, 2008 #6
    For the 2nd question a^2 = e implies that a = a^-1 now we want to show that ab = ba for all a, b \in G. So ab = (a^-1 b^-1) from our given but a^-1 b^-1 = (ba)^-1. But we also know that every element is its own inverse and since it's a group we have closure therefore if we call ba = c, then c = c^-1 or in other words ba = (ba)^-1. Now look at what we have ab = a^-1 b^-1 = (ba)^-1 = ba. It's been awhile since algebar, anyone confirm/deny?

8. Sep 11, 2008 #7
    confirm

9. Sep 11, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, do you understand that you are expected to make some effort of your own and show your work so we will know what kind of suggestions to make?

For example, what are the members of Z2? And then what are the members of [itex]Z_2\oplus Z_2[/itex]?

10. Sep 11, 2008 #9
    now, how to proof that if G is group then
    o(ab) = o(ba)
    o(cac^-1) =o(a)

for all a,b,c in G
    note that G not abelian???????

11. Sep 11, 2008 #10
    Your first question hasn't been answered and you have not answered the hint question that people asked you. Halls is correct, YOU have to show some work that you've done on the problem. Do so.

12. Sep 12, 2008 #11
    Q3)if Gis afinite group of even order, then G contains an element (a) not equal zero s.t.
    a^2= e

13. Sep 12, 2008 #12
    Q4) LET G is abilian of order pq , with g.c.d (p,q)=1 , assume there exist a,b in G and
    o(a)= p,o(b) = q show that G is cyclic

14. Sep 12, 2008 #13
    What part of stop posting questions and start showing your own work was misinterpreted? It is unlikely you will get help if you only keep posting questions.

15. Sep 12, 2008 #14
    mr NoMoreExams

these question i want to solve it for my homework
    and for my searching ...
    its very important for me

16. Sep 12, 2008 #15

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If they're your homework problems, then shouldn't you be the one who solves them?

This forum is not a place where you can get your work done for you. However, if you show some effort, then people will help you out.

17. Sep 19, 2008 #16
    I am not sure what's confusing you. This is not a forum to get answers and/or have others do your homework for you. You should ask the question, which we figured out you can do, and then show what YOU would do to solve it. YOU have to show effort, since they are YOUR problems. WE, on the other hand, will offer you hints, suggestions, etc. but YOU should be the one doing the research by reading your book, going to your library, etc. and learning. At the very least you should know definitions which it does not seem you do or are reluctant to post them for some reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?