Graphing Rational Functions: How to Find Asymptotes and Intercepts

In summary, The function y = 2x - 6/x2-5x+4 is continuous for all x values but has a vertical asymptote at x=1 and a horizontal asymptote at x= -3/2.
Schaus

Homework Statement

Sketch the graphs of the following functions and show all asymptotes with a dotted line
y = (2x - 6)/ (x2-5x+4)
upload_2017-1-10_12-28-44.png

i) Equation of any vertical asymptote(s)

ii) State any restrictions or non-permissible value(s)

iii) Determine coordinates of any intercept(s)

iv) Describe the behavior of the function as it approaches and leaves vertical asymptotes and/or point of discontinuity

v) State the horizontal asymptote.vi) State the Domain and Range

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I hope my thread title is correct.
First off I factored the function
y = 2(x-3)/(x-4)(x-1)

i) This gave me my vertical asymptotes: x = 4, x = 1

ii) Without any points of discontinuity then I don't have any restrictions or non-permissible values (I think)

iii) X intercept
0 = (2x-6)/(x2-5x+4)
(0)(x2-5x+4) = 2x-6
0 = 2x - 6
6 = 2x
x = 3
(3,0)

iii) Y intercept
y = 2(0)-6/(0)2-5(0)+4
y = -6/4
y = -3/2
(0,-3/2)

iv) I believe I can do this once I figure out my graph

v) Horizontal Asymptote: y = 2

vi) D: x ≠ 4, 1

Now I tried finding my range but substituting my horizontal asymptote into the function
2 = (2x-6)/(x2-5x+4)
2x2-10x+8 = 2x-6
2x2-12x+14 = 0
Using quadratic equation I get 3±√2

Now when I put all this onto my graph I don't know where to draw the lines. I think I've placed all my lines where I should but something seems wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Schaus said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the graphs of the following functions and show all asymptotes with a dotted line
y = 2x - 6/ x2-5x+4
View attachment 111366

i) Equation of any vertical asymptote(s)

ii) State any restrictions or non-permissible value(s)

iii) Determine coordinates of any intercept(s)

iv) Describe the behavior of the function as it approaches and leaves vertical asymptotes and/or point of discontinuity

v) State the horizontal asymptote.vi) State the Domain and Range

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I hope my thread title is correct.
First off I factored the function
y = 2(x-3)/(x-4)(x-1)

i) This gave me my vertical asymptotes: x = 4, x = 1

ii) Without any points of discontinuity then I don't have any restrictions or non-permissible values (I think)

iii) X intercept
0 = 2x-6/x2-5x+4
(0)(x2-5x+4) = 2x-6
0 = 2x - 6
6 = 2x
x = 3
(3,0)

iii) Y intercept
y = 2(0)-6/(0)2-5(0)+4
y = -6/4
y = -3/2
(0,-3/2)

iv) I believe I can do this once I figure out my graph

v) Horizontal Asymptote: y = 2

vi) D: x ≠ 4, 1

Now I tried finding my range but substituting my horizontal asymptote into the function
2 = 2x-6/x2-5x+4
2x2-10x+8 = 2x-6
2x2-12x+14 = 0
Using quadratic equation I get 3±√2

Now when I put all this onto my graph I don't know where to draw the lines. I think I've placed all my lines where I should but something seems wrong.
You wrote two functions
y = 2x - 6/ x2-5x+4 which means ##2x-\frac{6}{x^2}-5x+4##
and
y = 2(x-3)/(x-4)(x-1), ##y=2\frac{x-3}{x-4} (x-1)##
but you seem to work with ##y=\frac{2x-6}{x^2-5x+4}##
Which function is the real one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Schaus
I see that may have been confusing. I should have written it like this
y = (2x-6)/(x2-5x+4)

Schaus said:
I see that may have been confusing. I should have written it like this
y = (2x-6)/(x2-5x+4)
Yes, it is correct now. And it is 2(x-3)/[(x-4)(x-1)] in factorized form.
You were right, the vertical asymptotes are at x=1 and x=4. Are these x values permissible for the function? Is the function really continuous?
How is the horizontal asymptote defined? I do not think y=2 is correct.

Likes Schaus
I was under the impression that when you had a function like 2(x-3)/[(x-4)(x-1)] the 2 in the numerator is divided by the denominator and since it is 2/1 then y = 2

Schaus said:
I was under the impression that when xyou had a function like 2(x-3)/[(x-4)(x-1)] the 2 in the numerator is divided by the denominator and since it is 2/1 then y = 2
No, you get the horizontal asymptote at the limit x→ -∞ and x→ ∞. If x is very big the constant terms can be ignored, and the function is approximated by 2x/x2=2/x.

Likes Schaus
So, what is the horizontal asymptote?

If its 2/x would you make 2/x = 0?

Schaus said:
yes, y=0 is the horizontal asymptote.

Likes Schaus
Schaus said:

No. You have the correct asypmptote, but have expressed it incorrectly.

You NEVER can have 2/x = 0; however, you do have that 2/x approaches 0 for large |x|, so ##\lim_{x \to \pm \infty} 2/x = 0## would be the right way of saying it.

Likes Schaus
So if y = 0 then my range is y ≥ 0 because it doesn't cross the horizontal asymptote. I still don't know how to draw my graph. How do I find out which way to go with it?

Schaus said:
So if y = 0 then my range is y ≥ 0 because it doesn't cross the horizontal asymptote. I still don't know how to draw my graph. How do I find out which way to go with it?
No. Determine the sign of the function when x<1. Remember you obtained y=-3/2 as y intercept.
Determine the sign of the function in the various domains.

Likes Schaus
Ok, so now I start my graph from underneath the horizontal asymptote and go through the y intercept then curve it downwards -∞?

Also when it says to state non-permissibles. Does that only mean when there are points of discontinuity? Or am I supposed to state the restrictions on x as well? Like x ≠ 4, 1

Schaus said:
Ok, so now I start my graph from underneath the horizontal asymptote and go through the y intercept then curve it downwards -∞?
Yes. And how will the function look at the other side of the x=1 asymptote?

Likes Schaus
If it goes down to -∞ then it will start at the top of the graph coming from ∞ then going through my (3,0) intercept down through -∞ and back to ∞ on the right side of x=4 asymptote and curving towards the right but never crossing y = 0?

upload_2017-1-10_14-48-9.png
Is this how it should look? Because I was looking through my notes and it says that if you have an even exponent then the graph will look different?

Schaus said:
View attachment 111391 Is this how it should look? Because I was looking through my notes and it says that if you have an even exponent then the graph will look different?
Looks good to me.
Here's a handy trick: p(x)/q(x) = p(x)q(x)/q(x)2, so, where defined, has the same sign as p(x)q(x). Listing all the roots of pq in order quickly shows the domains in which it is positive and which negative.

Likes Schaus
Schaus said:
View attachment 111391 Is this how it should look? Because I was looking through my notes and it says that if you have an even exponent then the graph will look different?
It is correct. Remember, at great x values, both positive and negative, the function looks similar to 2/x (even exponent in the denominator but you have x in the numerator, too.)
Now: what is the range of the function?

Likes Schaus
Range has to be y ∈ R because it crosses the horizontal asymptote, I believe.

Schaus said:
Range has to be y ∈ R because it crosses the horizontal asymptote, I believe.
Yes y takes all real values. It has y=0 as asymptote, but takes the value y=0 at x=3.

Thanks for all your help!

What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials, where the denominator is not equal to zero.

How do you solve rational functions?

To solve a rational function, we must first simplify it by factoring both the numerator and denominator. Then, we can find the domain by setting the denominator equal to zero and excluding any values that make the denominator zero. Finally, we can use the simplified form to find the x and y-intercepts, asymptotes, and graph the function.

What are some common mistakes when solving rational functions?

Some common mistakes when solving rational functions include forgetting to simplify the function, making mistakes while factoring, and not considering the domain restrictions. It is also important to check for any extraneous solutions that may arise from simplifying the function.

What are some methods for solving complex rational functions?

For complex rational functions, we can use techniques such as partial fraction decomposition, long division, and synthetic division to simplify the function and make it easier to solve. In some cases, graphing the function can also help in finding solutions.

How can solving rational functions be applied in real life?

Solving rational functions can be applied in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. For example, in engineering, rational functions can be used to model the relationship between force and distance in a mechanical system. In economics, rational functions can be used to analyze the relationship between supply and demand in a market. In physics, rational functions can be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of forces such as gravity.