1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving RLC Circuit

1. Feb 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Capture.PNG

R = 125 ohms, L = 200 mH, C = 5 uF, initial current in L is -0.3A, and initial voltage across C is 25V.

2. Relevant equations
    v(t) = (Bcos(wt)+Csin(wt))e^(-at)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved for v(t) t>0 and got 25e^(-800t)(cos(600t)+ (4/3)sin(600t)). The second part is to solve for iL for t>0. In class, we've been solved for iL using iL+iR+iC = 0 →iL = -iR-iC but I want to solve for iL using v(t) = L*di/dt and I can't get the same answer as the other method. Is this not valid for this case? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2017 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It should work, providing you have v(t) correct. So you're going to integrate v(t). Can you attach your working?

4. Feb 15, 2017 #3
    Can you show your work?

5. Feb 15, 2017 #4
    Thanks for the responses.
    I had iL = (1/L)∫[25exp(-800t)*[cos(600t)+(4/3)sin(600t)] ]dt and I used WolframAlpha to evaluate the integral. The answer was in the right form but the coefficients were off. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted