The Schrodinger Equation: How to Solve for Time Evolution and Eigenstates

In summary: N|\rangle|^2\right),where |a_i| is the probability density for the ith eigen-value of A.The operator corresponding to observable A isA = \left( \begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\0 & -1 \end{array} \right), with eigen-vectors as |a_1\rangle = \left( \begin{array}{c}\)\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \begin{array}{c}1 \\1 \end{array} \right)\Ok
wileecoyote
I'm working my way through some QM problems for self-study and this one has stumped me. Given the Hamiltonian as [itex]H(t) = f(t)H^0[/itex] where [itex]f(t)[/itex] is a real function and [itex]H^0[/itex] is Hermitian with a complete set of eigenstates [itex]H^0|E_n^0> = E_n^0|E_n^0>[/itex]. Time evolution is given by the Schrodinger equation [itex]i \hbar \frac{d}{dt}|\phi (t)> = H(t)|\phi (t)>[/itex]. I am supposed to write a solution to the Schrodinger equation as a linear combination of the eigenstates of [itex]H^0[/itex]. Now clearly
[itex]|\phi (t)> = \sum\limits_{n=1}^N c_n (t)|E_n^0>[/itex]. But where do I go from there. The second part is to convert the Schrodinger equation into a first order diff eq and solve for the [itex]c_n (t)[/itex]. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems pretty straight forward to me. Plug in the expressions for |phi(t)> and H(t) into the Schroedinger Equation, act on it with a bra of one of the eigenstates <En0|, use the orthonormality of those states, and solve the ODE.

I'm not really sure how to deal with the sums, when I plug in and evaluate [itex]H^0[/itex]I get
[itex]i \hbar \frac{d}{dt} \sum\limits_{n=1}^N c_n (t)|E_n^0> = f(t) \sum\limits_{n=1}^N c_n (t) E_n^0 |E_n^0> [/itex] and then if I act with a [itex]<E_n^0|[/itex] it will simply cancel out the [itex]|E_n^0>[/itex] (completeness relation), but then how do I solve it from there? Also if I am given a well-defined Hamiltonian in terms of time and a state [itex]A[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]a[/itex] at t=0. How do I find the probability that as t->infinity a measurement of [itex]A[/itex] will give a different eigenvalue?

You should apply the bra on the left side and use the orthonormality relation - not the completeness relation. There will be only one single non-vanishing term left in the summation. That term will give you an ODE.

Likes 1 person
Right so because of orthogonality each term where [itex]n \neq m[/itex] will cancel leaving the left side as [itex]i \hbar \frac{d}{dt} c_n (t)[/itex] but wouldn't the same have to happen to the right side making the equation [itex]i \hbar \frac{d}{dt} c_n (t) = f(t)E_n^0 c_n (t)[/itex]. Is that right? Also what about my second question from post 3?

wileecoyote said:
Right so because of orthogonality each term where [itex]n \neq m[/itex] will cancel leaving the left side as [itex]i \hbar \frac{d}{dt} c_n (t)[/itex] but wouldn't the same have to happen to the right side making the equation [itex]i \hbar \frac{d}{dt} c_n (t) = f(t)E_n^0 c_n (t)[/itex]. Is that right?
Yes, that is the idea.
wileecoyote said:
Also what about my second question from post 3?
[tex] P = \lim_{t \to +\infty}\left(1-|\langle A(t)| A(0)\rangle|^2\right),[/tex]
where [itex]|A(t)\rangle [/itex] can be computed from Schrodinger's equation.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Ravi Mohan said:
Yes, that is the idea.

[tex] P = \lim_{t \to +\infty}\left(1-|\langle A(t)| A(0)\rangle|^2\right),[/tex]
where [itex]|A(t)\rangle [/itex] can be computed from Schrodinger's equation.

Thanks, but how would I compute [itex]A(t)[/itex]. I'll give a little more detail. For this particular example, I am given that
[itex]A = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1 \end{array} \right)[/itex] with eigenvalue 1 at [itex]t= 0[/itex]. Since I've now got an expression for [itex]c_n(t)[/itex] I can calculate [itex]|\phi (t)>[/itex], but what about this [itex]A(t)[/itex].

wileecoyote said:
Also if I am given a well-defined Hamiltonian in terms of time and a state [itex]A[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]a[/itex] at t=0.
I thought that [itex]A[/itex] was a quantum state.

wileecoyote said:
For this particular example, I am given that
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1 \end{array} \right)[/itex] with eigenvalue 1 at [itex]t= 0[/itex]. Since I've now got an expression for [itex]c_n(t)[/itex] I can calculate [itex]|\phi (t)>[/itex], but what about this [itex]A(t)[/itex].
Do you mean that system is in one of the eigen states of operator [itex]A[/itex]?
Also can you write down the Hamiltonian?

Ravi Mohan said:
Do you mean that system is in one of the eigen states of operator [itex]A[/itex]?
yes at t=0

Ravi Mohan said:
Also can you write down the Hamiltonian?
[itex]H(t) = ae^{-t/b} \left( \begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \end{array} \right)\[/itex]

Ok.
So the time independent part of Hamiltonian is
[itex]H^0 = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \end{array} \right),[/itex]
with eigen-vectors and eigen-values as [itex] |e_1\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \begin{array}{c}
1 \\
1 \end{array} \right)[/itex], [itex] |e_2\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \begin{array}{c}
1 \\
-1 \end{array} \right)[/itex] and [itex]1,-1[/itex] respectively.

Now after calculating [itex]C_n(t)[/itex], you have [itex] |\phi(t)\rangle = \sum\limits_{i=1}^{2}C_i(t) |e_i \rangle [/itex].

The operator corresponding to observable [itex]A[/itex] is
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1 \end{array} \right),[/itex]
with eigen-vectors as [itex] |a_1\rangle = \left( \begin{array}{c}
1 \\
0 \end{array} \right)[/itex], [itex] |a_2\rangle = \left( \begin{array}{c}
0 \\
1 \end{array} \right)[/itex].

When the time approaches infinity the probability that the measurement will not result in eigen-value = 1 is given by evaluating
[tex] P = \lim_{t \to +\infty}\left(1-|\langle a_1| \phi(t)\rangle|^2\right).[/tex]

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical formula developed by the physicist Erwin Schrodinger that describes the behavior of a quantum system in terms of its wave function.

2. Why is solving the Schrodinger Equation important?

Solving the Schrodinger Equation allows us to understand the behavior of quantum systems, which are fundamental to many areas of science such as chemistry, material science, and particle physics.

3. How is the Schrodinger Equation solved?

The Schrodinger Equation is solved using a variety of mathematical techniques, such as numerical methods, perturbation theory, and variational methods. Each method has its own advantages and is used depending on the specific problem at hand.

4. What are the applications of the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation has many important applications, including determining the energy levels of atoms and molecules, predicting the behavior of electrons in materials, and understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrodinger Equation?

While the Schrodinger Equation is a very powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It cannot accurately describe systems with strong interactions or those involving relativistic effects. In these cases, other theories such as quantum field theory must be used.