1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving sin(ax-b)

1. Aug 24, 2015 #1

adjacent

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ddd.png
    The figure shows part of a curve with the equation ##y=sin(ax-b)## where ##a>0## and ##0<b<\pi##. The curve cuts the x-axis at the points P, Q and R as shown.
    Given that the coordinates of P, Q and R are
    ##\Big(\frac{\pi}{10},0\Big),\Big(\frac{3\pi}{5},0\Big)## and ##\Big(\frac{11\pi}{10},0\Big)## respectively. Find the values of ##a## and ##b##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to solve the this if ##ax-b## was simply ##x##.... ##sin^{-1}(0)## gives 0. So at the interval ##0\leq x \leq 2\pi## ,##x## will be ##\pi-0##(Which is pi)##, 0,2\pi##
    But for this, I did:
    ##\text{let }\alpha = ax-b##
    ##sin^{-1}(0)=0##
    So ##\alpha= 0,\pi,2\pi##
    Looking at the diagram, first point is ##\Big(\frac{\pi}{10},0\Big)## and the value of ##x## is ##\frac{\pi}{10}##. Also the first solution for ##\alpha## is 0. Therefore:
    ##\alpha=0##
    ##a\frac{\pi}{10}-b=0##
    ##a\frac{3\pi}{5}-b=\pi##
    Solving this simultaneously gives ##a=\frac{10}{3}## which is wrong. The actual answer is ##a=2,b=\frac{\pi}{5}## so my method is wrong somehow.
    So what should I do?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hints:

1. The difference between R and P should equal the period of the sine function.
    2. The quantity "b" is just a phase angle, which has no effect on the period of the function.

4. Aug 24, 2015 #3

adjacent

Gold Member

But what has this to do with the period of the sine function? Period of ##sin(ax-b)## is ##\pi## . What next?

5. Aug 24, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The period of sin (x) is 2π. What must you do to the argument x to change the period of the sine function from 2π to just π?

6. Aug 24, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine up to this point.
    How did you get that answer?

7. Aug 24, 2015 #6

adjacent

Gold Member

Make it 2 :) This method is easy :biggrin:
    Looks like I somehow did my simultaneous equation wrong.

I got the answer thanks SteamKing and mfb :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted