Solve Sin(ax-b) Homework: Find Values of a & b

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation is ##y=sin(ax-b)## where ##a>0## and ##0<b<\pi##. The curve cuts the x-axis at three points, P, Q, and R, with coordinates ##\Big(\frac{\pi}{10},0\Big),\Big(\frac{3\pi}{5},0\Big)## and ##\Big(\frac{11\pi}{10},0\Big)## respectively. To find the values of ##a## and ##b##, we can use the property that the difference between R and P should equal the period of the sine function. Since the period of sin (x) is 2π, we can change
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

ddd.png

The figure shows part of a curve with the equation ##y=sin(ax-b)## where ##a>0## and ##0<b<\pi##. The curve cuts the x-axis at the points P, Q and R as shown.
Given that the coordinates of P, Q and R are
##\Big(\frac{\pi}{10},0\Big),\Big(\frac{3\pi}{5},0\Big)## and ##\Big(\frac{11\pi}{10},0\Big)## respectively. Find the values of ##a## and ##b##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the this if ##ax-b## was simply ##x##... ##sin^{-1}(0)## gives 0. So at the interval ##0\leq x \leq 2\pi## ,##x## will be ##\pi-0##(Which is pi)##, 0,2\pi##
But for this, I did:
##\text{let }\alpha = ax-b##
##sin^{-1}(0)=0##
So ##\alpha= 0,\pi,2\pi##
Looking at the diagram, first point is ##\Big(\frac{\pi}{10},0\Big)## and the value of ##x## is ##\frac{\pi}{10}##. Also the first solution for ##\alpha## is 0. Therefore:
##\alpha=0##
##a\frac{\pi}{10}-b=0##
##a\frac{3\pi}{5}-b=\pi##
Solving this simultaneously gives ##a=\frac{10}{3}## which is wrong. The actual answer is ##a=2,b=\frac{\pi}{5}## so my method is wrong somehow.
So what should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints:

1. The difference between R and P should equal the period of the sine function.
2. The quantity "b" is just a phase angle, which has no effect on the period of the function.

But what has this to do with the period of the sine function? Period of ##sin(ax-b)## is ##\pi## . What next?

adjacent said:
But what has this to do with the period of the sine function? Period of ##sin(ax-b)## is ##\pi## . What next?
The period of sin (x) is 2π. What must you do to the argument x to change the period of the sine function from 2π to just π?

Likes adjacent
adjacent said:
##a\frac{\pi}{10}-b=0##
##a\frac{3\pi}{5}-b=\pi##
Looks fine up to this point.
Solving this simultaneously gives ##a=\frac{10}{3}## which is wrong
How did you get that answer?

Likes adjacent
SteamKing said:
The period of sin (x) is 2π. What must you do to the argument x to change the period of the sine function from 2π to just π?
Make it 2 :) This method is easy :biggrin:
mfb said:
Looks fine up to this point.
How did you get that answer?
Looks like I somehow did my simultaneous equation wrong.

I got the answer thanks SteamKing and mfb :)

1. What is the purpose of solving Sin(ax-b) homework?

The purpose of solving Sin(ax-b) homework is to practice using the trigonometric function sine and to solve equations involving sine. This type of homework also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How do I find the values of a and b in Sin(ax-b)?

To find the values of a and b in Sin(ax-b), you need to use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities. Start by isolating the sine function and then use the inverse sine function to find the value of a. Next, use the inverse cosine function to find the value of b.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Sin(ax-b) equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Sin(ax-b) equations include forgetting to use the inverse trigonometric functions, incorrectly applying the Pythagorean identity, and not isolating the sine function properly. It is also important to check your answers by plugging them back into the original equation.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve Sin(ax-b) equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve Sin(ax-b) equations, but it is important to know how to solve them by hand as well. Calculators can be helpful for quickly checking your answers, but it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving these types of equations.

5. How can I apply the knowledge gained from solving Sin(ax-b) equations in real life?

The knowledge gained from solving Sin(ax-b) equations can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, you can use this knowledge to calculate the height of a building or the distance between two objects using trigonometric concepts.