How can I simplify sin(x + (pi/6))?

• Thread starter ELIZAeffect
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with simplifying two formulas. The first formula, sin(x + (pi/6)), cannot be simplified while the second formula, (sin^2(2x))(cos^2(2x)), can be simplified to (1 + cos8x)(1/16). The person is seeking guidance and expresses appreciation for the expert's time and knowledge. They also mention how the site has grown since they last visited.
ELIZAeffect
OK, I worked through an assignment wanting me to rewrite formulas. However two problems are driving me crazy.

sin(x + (pi/6))
I get (sqrt(3)/2)sinX + (1/2)cosX
not really too simplified.

(sin^2(2x))(cos^2(2x))
((1-cos4x)/2) ((1+cos4x)/2)
(1-cos^2(4x))(1/4)
[((2/2)-((1+cos8x)/2)](1/4)
((1+cos8x)/4)(1/4)
(1 + cos8x)(1/16)
//When I plug numbers in I do not get a valid solution for the original equation so I messed up somewhere.

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you for your time and knowledge. Also, congratulations this site has grown a lot since my old days of getting on about everyday. Job got in the way and all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first one cannot be simplified indeed...

The second is
[tex] \sin^{2}2x\cos^{2}2x [/tex]

,or i didn't understant it??

HINT:
Use
[tex] \sin 2u=2\sin u\cos u [/tex]

Daniel.

To simplify sin(x + (pi/6)), you can use the trigonometric identity sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b). In this case, a = x and b = (pi/6). Therefore, sin(x + (pi/6)) = sin(x)cos(pi/6) + cos(x)sin(pi/6). Since cos(pi/6) = sqrt(3)/2 and sin(pi/6) = 1/2, the simplified form would be (sqrt(3)/2)sin(x) + (1/2)cos(x).

For the second problem, you have correctly simplified it to (1+cos8x)/16. However, when plugging in numbers, make sure you are using radians instead of degrees. Also, check your calculations to see if you have made any mistakes.

I'm glad you find this site helpful and congratulations on your job! Keep practicing and you'll improve your math skills.

What is the equation for "Solving sin(x + (pi/6))"?

The equation for solving sin(x + (pi/6)) is sin(x + (pi/6)) = 0.

What is the value of x in "Solving sin(x + (pi/6))"?

The value of x in solving sin(x + (pi/6)) can vary depending on the given parameters and context of the problem.

What are the possible solutions for "Solving sin(x + (pi/6))"?

The possible solutions for solving sin(x + (pi/6)) are any values of x that make the equation sin(x + (pi/6)) = 0 true. These values can be found by using algebraic methods or graphing the equation.

What techniques can be used to solve "Solving sin(x + (pi/6))"?

Some techniques that can be used to solve sin(x + (pi/6)) include using trigonometric identities, simplifying the equation, and graphing the equation to find the solutions.

What real-world applications can "Solving sin(x + (pi/6))" have?

Solving sin(x + (pi/6)) can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the position of an object in circular motion, determining the angle of inclination in a right triangle, and analyzing sound and light waves.