Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solving Sturn-Liousville problem

1. May 3, 2004 #1
    My problem is:

[tex] \frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2} + 6\frac{d\phi}{dx} + \lambda\phi = 0; \\ \frac{d\phi}{dx}(0) = 0, \frac{d\phi}{dx}(L) = 0. [/tex]

I am told to begin by finding every eigenvalue and corresponding eigenfunction. I missed the last class where we went over this and the book is not giving me much advice on how to begin. Can someone just provide some help on how I begin solving this? I would show what I have but I have nothing yet ;).

Thanks,
    -Jason

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2004 #2
    Try a solution of the form

[tex]\phi = e^{rx}[/tex]

then consider cases for lambda, i.e. positive, zero, negative, and match boundary conditions.

cookiemonster

4. May 3, 2004 #3
    Sorry for seeming so dense, but I understand how to apply that to normal O.D.E's, but the eigenvalue is throwing me off. What I am doing is:

[tex]
    Let \ \phi = e^{rx}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d\phi}{dx} = re^{rx}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2} = r^2e^{rx}
    [/tex]

After substituting this back in for [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] I get:

[tex]
    r^2 + 6r + \lambda = 0
    [/tex]

This is easily solved for [tex] \lambda = 0 [/tex], but how do I go about solving it for non-zero eigenvalues? I am pretty embarrased for having to ask questions on such a simple problem, but thank you for helping!

5. May 3, 2004 #4
    How about the quadratic formula? =]

cookiemonster

6. May 3, 2004 #5
    Yeah I did that originally, and I think i was looking for some sort of fourier series like lambda to come about, and getting confused by that. I got it now though, thanks man.

-Jason

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook