Solving Sturn-Liousville problem

• Thread starter JasonZ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation \frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2} + 6\frac{d\phi}{dx} + \lambda\phi = 0 with given boundary conditions by finding eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions. The solution method involves trying a solution of the form \phi = e^{rx} and considering cases for lambda, as well as matching boundary conditions. The conversation also mentions using the quadratic formula to solve for non-zero eigenvalues.
JasonZ
My problem is:

[tex] \frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2} + 6\frac{d\phi}{dx} + \lambda\phi = 0; \\ \frac{d\phi}{dx}(0) = 0, \frac{d\phi}{dx}(L) = 0. [/tex]

I am told to begin by finding every eigenvalue and corresponding eigenfunction. I missed the last class where we went over this and the book is not giving me much advice on how to begin. Can someone just provide some help on how I begin solving this? I would show what I have but I have nothing yet ;).

Thanks,
-Jason

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try a solution of the form

[tex]\phi = e^{rx}[/tex]

then consider cases for lambda, i.e. positive, zero, negative, and match boundary conditions.

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
Try a solution of the form

[tex]\phi = e^{rx}[/tex]

then consider cases for lambda, i.e. positive, zero, negative, and match boundary conditions.

cookiemonster

Sorry for seeming so dense, but I understand how to apply that to normal O.D.E's, but the eigenvalue is throwing me off. What I am doing is:

[tex]
Let \ \phi = e^{rx}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{d\phi}{dx} = re^{rx}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2} = r^2e^{rx}
[/tex]

After substituting this back in for [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] I get:

[tex]
r^2 + 6r + \lambda = 0
[/tex]

This is easily solved for [tex] \lambda = 0 [/tex], but how do I go about solving it for non-zero eigenvalues? I am pretty embarrased for having to ask questions on such a simple problem, but thank you for helping!

Last edited:
How about the quadratic formula? =]

cookiemonster

Yeah I did that originally, and I think i was looking for some sort of Fourier series like lambda to come about, and getting confused by that. I got it now though, thanks man.

-Jason

Last edited:

1. What is the Sturn-Liousville problem?

The Sturn-Liousville problem is a mathematical problem in quantum mechanics that involves finding the energy spectrum and corresponding eigenfunctions of a self-adjoint differential operator. It is used to solve problems related to the motion of particles in a potential field.

2. What is the significance of solving the Sturn-Liousville problem?

Solving the Sturn-Liousville problem allows us to understand the quantum behavior of particles in a potential field, which has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. It also provides insight into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

3. What are the common methods for solving the Sturn-Liousville problem?

The most commonly used methods for solving the Sturn-Liousville problem are the separation of variables method, the perturbation theory method, and the numerical methods such as the finite element method and the shooting method.

4. What are the challenges in solving the Sturn-Liousville problem?

The main challenge in solving the Sturn-Liousville problem is the complex nature of the differential operator, which requires advanced mathematical techniques and computations. In addition, finding the exact analytical solutions for certain potentials can be difficult, leading to the need for numerical methods.

5. How is the Sturn-Liousville problem related to other problems in physics?

The Sturn-Liousville problem is closely related to other problems in physics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the wave equation. It also has connections to problems in classical mechanics, such as the Hamiltonian mechanics and the calculus of variations.