1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Sturn-Liousville problem

1. May 3, 2004 #1
    My problem is:

[tex] \frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2} + 6\frac{d\phi}{dx} + \lambda\phi = 0; \\ \frac{d\phi}{dx}(0) = 0, \frac{d\phi}{dx}(L) = 0. [/tex]

I am told to begin by finding every eigenvalue and corresponding eigenfunction. I missed the last class where we went over this and the book is not giving me much advice on how to begin. Can someone just provide some help on how I begin solving this? I would show what I have but I have nothing yet ;).

Thanks,
    -Jason

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2004 #2
    Try a solution of the form

[tex]\phi = e^{rx}[/tex]

then consider cases for lambda, i.e. positive, zero, negative, and match boundary conditions.

cookiemonster

4. May 3, 2004 #3
    Sorry for seeming so dense, but I understand how to apply that to normal O.D.E's, but the eigenvalue is throwing me off. What I am doing is:

[tex]
    Let \ \phi = e^{rx}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d\phi}{dx} = re^{rx}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2} = r^2e^{rx}
    [/tex]

After substituting this back in for [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] I get:

[tex]
    r^2 + 6r + \lambda = 0
    [/tex]

This is easily solved for [tex] \lambda = 0 [/tex], but how do I go about solving it for non-zero eigenvalues? I am pretty embarrased for having to ask questions on such a simple problem, but thank you for helping!

5. May 3, 2004 #4
    How about the quadratic formula? =]

cookiemonster

6. May 3, 2004 #5
    Yeah I did that originally, and I think i was looking for some sort of fourier series like lambda to come about, and getting confused by that. I got it now though, thanks man.

-Jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?