Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Sudoku with logic?

1. Jun 1, 2015 #1
    How to solve the attached Sudoku without computer or a guess?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2015 #2
    This sudoku does not have a unique solution, in-fact it has at-least 500 solutions, therefore it is not possible to solve it purely based on logic. (By this I mean you will have to make a choice.)
    How do I know it has at-least 500 solutions ? Click the solution-count button here. [I've done you the courtesy of typing out the sudoku.]

4. Jun 1, 2015 #3
    I clicked the link and I filled up the entries then it gave me all numbers (1 to 9) in all blank cells!!!. So how many solutions?

5. Jun 1, 2015 #4
    But I'd already filled the necessary squares for you ?
    Click the yellow "solution-count" button at the top right.

6. Jun 3, 2015 #5
    yes I got it thanks. So what is the lowest number of clues that give a unique solution?

7. Jun 3, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If it has "at least 500 solutions" then it does not have a unique solution!

Oops! I misread your response- you did say it does NOT have a unique solution.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  8. Jun 3, 2015 #7
    According to http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.0749, no solvable sudoko exists with less than 17 clues. Your sudoku is actually a 16 clue sudoku, because the 5 in the top right corner is redundant.

9. Jun 4, 2015 #8
    What do you mean by redundant?

10. Jun 4, 2015 #9
    He means you already know it is 5, it's not a useful information.

11. Jun 5, 2015 #10
    Note that 17 clues does not guarantee a unique solution, but you need at-least 17, as the paper quoted by willem2 shows.
    It's actually only a 12 clue sudoku. You should be able to enter the remaining entries from this.

12. Jun 5, 2015 #11
    Still, I don't understand why do you want to consider all entries on the right upper square redundant? Just because they are on 2 perpendicular lines?

13. Jun 5, 2015 #12
    No. They aren't clues because you can solve the empty entries in the link from the given ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook