Solving Sudoku: A Logical Approach

In summary, the conversation discussed a Sudoku puzzle that does not have a unique solution and has at least 500 solutions. It was mentioned that it is not possible to solve the puzzle purely based on logic and that a choice must be made. The solution-count button on a website was suggested to determine the number of solutions. It was also mentioned that a solvable Sudoku puzzle must have at least 17 clues, but the given puzzle only has 16 clues because the 5 in the top right corner is redundant. The conversation also touched upon the concept of redundant clues and how they can be determined.
Adel Makram
How to solve the attached Sudoku without computer or a guess?

Attachments

• Sudoku.png
    Sudoku.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
This sudoku does not have a unique solution, in-fact it has at-least 500 solutions, therefore it is not possible to solve it purely based on logic. (By this I mean you will have to make a choice.)
How do I know it has at-least 500 solutions ? Click the solution-count button http://www.sudokuwiki.org/sudoku.htm. [I've done you the courtesy of typing out the sudoku.]

certainly said:
This sudoku does not have a unique solution, in-fact it has at-least 500 solutions, therefore it is not possible to solve it purely based on logic. (By this I mean you will have to make a choice.)
How do I know it has at-least 500 solutions ? Click the solution-count button http://www.sudokuwiki.org/sudoku.htm. [I've done you the courtesy of typing out the sudoku.]
I clicked the link and I filled up the entries then it gave me all numbers (1 to 9) in all blank cells!. So how many solutions?

Adel Makram said:
I clicked the link and I filled up the entries then it gave me all numbers (1 to 9) in all blank cells!. So how many solutions?
But I'd already filled the necessary squares for you ?
Click the yellow "solution-count" button at the top right.

yes I got it thanks. So what is the lowest number of clues that give a unique solution?

certainly said:
If it has "at least 500 solutions" then it does not have a unique solution!

Oops! I misread your response- you did say it does NOT have a unique solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.0749, no solvable sudoko exists with less than 17 clues. Your sudoku is actually a 16 clue sudoku, because the 5 in the top right corner is redundant.

willem2 said:
According to http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.0749, no solvable sudoko exists with less than 17 clues. Your sudoku is actually a 16 clue sudoku, because the 5 in the top right corner is redundant.
What do you mean by redundant?

He means you already know it is 5, it's not a useful information.

Note that 17 clues does not guarantee a unique solution, but you need at-least 17, as the paper quoted by willem2 shows.
willem2 said:
It's actually only a 12 clue sudoku. You should be able to enter the remaining entries from this.

certainly said:
Note that 17 clues does not guarantee a unique solution, but you need at-least 17, as the paper quoted by willem2 shows.

It's actually only a 12 clue sudoku. You should be able to enter the remaining entries from this.
Still, I don't understand why do you want to consider all entries on the right upper square redundant? Just because they are on 2 perpendicular lines?

Adel Makram said:
Still, I don't understand why do you want to consider all entries on the right upper square redundant? Just because they are on 2 perpendicular lines?
No. They aren't clues because you can solve the empty entries in the link from the given ones.

1. How do you solve a Sudoku puzzle?

Sudoku puzzles are solved by using logic and deductive reasoning. The goal is to fill in a 9x9 grid with numbers 1-9, making sure that each row, column, and 3x3 subgrid contains each number only once.

2. What is the most effective strategy for solving Sudoku?

The most effective strategy for solving Sudoku is to start by finding the numbers that can only fit in one specific cell based on the other numbers in the same row, column, and subgrid. This process is repeated until the puzzle is complete.

3. How do you use logic to solve Sudoku?

Logic is used in Sudoku by eliminating numbers that cannot fit in a specific cell based on the numbers already present in the same row, column, and subgrid. This process narrows down the possible options for each cell, making it easier to fill in the remaining numbers.

4. Can Sudoku be solved without guessing?

Yes, Sudoku puzzles can be solved without guessing. By using logic and elimination, it is possible to find the correct placement for each number on the grid without resorting to guessing.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Sudoku?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Sudoku include placing a number in a row, column, or subgrid where it is already present, not considering all possible options for a cell, and skipping steps in the solving process. It is important to carefully analyze each cell and make sure that all numbers are correctly placed in the puzzle.