Solving Symbolically: Height of Cliff with No Air Resistance

In summary, the height of the cliff can be calculated using the equation h = (T - root(2*h/g))*vs, where T is the time it takes for the sound of the rock hitting the ground to reach the top of the cliff, h is the height of the cliff, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation is derived by combining the equations s = v*t and s = 1/2*a*t^2, and solving for h. The resulting quadratic equation can be solved to find the height of the cliff.
SavannahN

Homework Statement

You are climbing in the High Sierra when you suddenly find yourself at the edge of a fogshrouded
cliff. To find the height of this cliff, you drop a rock from the top; a time T later you
hear the sound of the rock hitting the ground at the foot of the cliff.

a. If you ignore air resistance, how high is the cliff if the speed of sound is vs?

Homework Equations

s = v * t
s =1/2*a*t2

The Attempt at a Solution

h = 1/2*g*trock2 (rock)
h = tsound *vs (sound)
T = tsound + trock
-> tsound = T - trock
h = (T - trock)*vs
h = 1/2*g*trock2
-> trock = root(2*h/g)​
h = (T - root(2*h/g))*vs

after this I am lost in separating the h, so I am assuming that I did something wrong. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
SavannahN said:
after this I am lost in separating the h, so I am assuming that I did something wrong. Where did I go wrong?
Your expression is correct. To find the height, just square both sides and solve the quadratic. Be sure you pick the right solution of the two as your answer.

Last edited:
Likes SavannahN

1. What is the equation used to solve for the height of a cliff with no air resistance?

The equation used to solve for the height of a cliff with no air resistance is h = (1/2)gt^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

2. How does air resistance affect the calculation of the height of a cliff?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of the height of a cliff by slowing down the rate at which an object falls. This means that the time it takes for an object to fall from the cliff will be longer, resulting in a greater calculated height.

3. Can the equation for calculating the height of a cliff with no air resistance be used in real-life scenarios?

No, the equation for calculating the height of a cliff with no air resistance is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as air resistance, wind, and air density. In real-life scenarios, these factors can significantly affect the height of an object falling from a cliff.

4. What other variables can affect the height of a cliff with no air resistance?

Other variables that can affect the height of a cliff with no air resistance include the initial velocity of the object, the shape and mass of the object, and the surface of the cliff (e.g. if it is angled or has obstacles).

5. Can this equation be used to calculate the height of any object falling from any height?

Yes, the equation for calculating the height of a cliff with no air resistance can be used to calculate the height of any object falling from any height, as long as the other variables (such as time and acceleration due to gravity) are known.