Finding a Solution for the Drag Equation

• Thread starter Hobnob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag
In summary, The Drag equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the motion of a body falling through air. It is quadratic in air and linear in viscous liquid. The formula for falling bodies assumes the body is speeding up to terminal velocity, but the issue arises when the body slows down to terminal velocity, as the formula breaks down. After some research and calculations, the solution is to replace certain trigonometric functions with their hyperbolic counterparts.
Hobnob
Does anyone have a solution (approximate is fine) for the Drag equation? What I mean by this is that I need to be able to get position and velocity as functions of time for a body falling through air from rest.

I managed this for a viscous liquid where drag is approximately linearly dependent on velocity, but in air it's quadratic and I'm getting a fairly horrible integral for velocity, and position is eluding me completely!

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks
Hob

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I've done some more research and found the answer to my original question (it was on wikipedia all the time, I just missed it). The function is:

v = sqrt(g/r) * tanh(t*sqrt(g*r)), where r is a constant that depends on various factors that don't matter at this stage. This is easily integrated to give me a function for position as well.

But unfortunately, I'm still missing one last step: getting this function to work for an arbitrary initial velocity v0. As far as I can see, the general solution is

v = sqrt(g/r) * tanh(t*sqrt(g*r) + c)

where c is equal to arTanh(v0*sqrt(r/g)). But because arTanh is only defined for -1 to +1, if v0 is too big, this doesn't work.

I'm doing some more calculating, but if anyone can see where (and if) I've gone wrong, that would help a lot.

[Edit] Just to clarify, the issue is this: The formula for falling bodies assumes the body is *speeding up* to terminal velocity. I'm interested in what happens at the moment you open your parachute and *slow down* to terminal velocity, at which point the system seems to break down.
Hob

Last edited:
This is turning into more of a blog than a thread...

I think I've solved it, with the help of a dodgy cached document on Google - thanks, Gernot Hoffmann! The solution is to replace tanh with coth and cosh with sinh when the initial velocity is greater than terminal velocity.

1. What is the Drag equation?

The Drag equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the force of air resistance, or drag, on an object moving through a fluid (such as air).

2. How is the Drag equation used in science?

The Drag equation is used in various fields of science, such as aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, and engineering, to predict the amount of drag experienced by an object in motion and to design more efficient and streamlined shapes.

3. What factors are involved in the Drag equation?

The Drag equation takes into account the density of the fluid, the velocity of the object, the cross-sectional area of the object, and the drag coefficient (which depends on the shape and surface properties of the object).

4. How is the Drag equation derived?

The Drag equation is derived from the principles of fluid mechanics, specifically the conservation of momentum and the Navier-Stokes equation. It can also be derived from experimental data and empirical relationships.

5. What are the limitations of the Drag equation?

The Drag equation is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, such as assuming a constant drag coefficient and neglecting factors like turbulence and compressibility. Therefore, it may not accurately predict drag in all situations and for all types of objects.