Solving the Schrödinger equation for free electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the initial conditions for solving the Schrödinger equation for free non-relativistic electrons. The Hamiltonian and energy eigenfunctions are derived, and the general solution to the initial value problem is also provided. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the detailed response.
SeM
Dear all, sorry I made a new post similar to the previous post "Initial conditions..", however, a critical point was missed in the previous discussion:

The initial conditions y(0)=1 and y'(0)=0 are fine and help in solving the Schrödinger equation, however, studying free electrons, the equation cannot be solved neither for the particle in the box , or for a finite linear motion harmonic oscillator as far as I can see from the literature.

When I solve the eqn, HY=EY , I can set E= p/2m or E= ground state energy. In either cases, I get a result where some unknown constant appears.

This constant can be solved using the Born Sommerfeld condition, but because the solution is not square integrable, it gives complex values.

How can I solve the unknown constant for a solution of the Schrödinger eqn. where the above given initial conditions are used?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit insecure what you mean with your "initial conditions" and most of the rest of your posting, but let's briefly discuss free non-relativistic electrons. The Hamiltonian reads
$$\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{\vec{p}}^2}{2m}.$$
Working in the position representation ("wave mechanics") we have
$$\hat{\vec{p}}=-\mathrm{i} \hbar \vec{\nabla}.$$
For simplicity also let's neglect the spin of the electron. Then to get a complete set of energy eigenvectors it's clear that we can as well look for a complete set of common eigenvectors of ##\hat{\vec{p}}## (note that ##[\hat{p}_j,\hat{p}_k]=0##, and that thus there's a set of common eigenvectors of all three momentum components). To find these eigenvectors we have to solve the eigenvalue equation
$$\hat{\vec{p}}u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x})=-\mathrm{i} \hbar \vec{\nabla} u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x}) =\vec{p} u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x}).$$
It's easy to see that the solution is
$$u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x})=N(\vec{p}) \exp \left (\frac{\mathrm{i} \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}{\hbar} \right), \quad \vec{p} \in \mathbb{R}^3.$$
It's convenient to normalize the eigenvectors "to a ##\delta## distribution":
$$\langle u_{\vec{p}} |u_{\vec{p}'} \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} N^*(\vec{p}) N(\vec{p}') \exp \left [\frac{\mathrm{i} \vec{x} \cdot (\vec{p}'-\vec{p})}{\hbar} \right] =|N(\vec{p})|^2 (2 \pi)^3 \hbar^3 \delta(\vec{p}-\vec{p}') \; \Rightarrow \; N(\vec{p})=\frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}}.$$
So finally we have
$$u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{(2 \pi \hbar)^{3/2}} \exp \left (\frac{\mathrm{i} \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}{\hbar} \right).$$
Of course, each ##u_{\vec{p}}## is an energy eigenstate,
$$\hat{H} u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x})=\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m} u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x})=E_{\vec{p}} u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x}).$$
The initial value is the wave function at time ##t_0## (not some strange other "initial values" you quote in the OP). The general solution of the initial value problem is now easily given in terms of the just found energy eigenfunctions. Defining
$$\tilde{\psi}_0(\vec{p})=\langle u_{\vec{p}}|\psi_0 \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \langle u_{\vec{p}}|\vec{x} \rangle \langle \vec{x}|\psi_0 \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} u_{\vec{p}}^*(\vec{x}) \psi_0(\vec{x}),$$
you get
$$\psi(t,\vec{x})=\langle \vec{x} | \exp[-\mathrm{i} \hat{H}(t-t_0)/\hbar]|\psi_0 \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} \langle \vec{x}|\exp[-\mathrm{i} \hat{H}(t-t_0)/\hbar] u_{\vec{p}} \rangle \langle u_{\vec{p}}|\psi_0 \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} u_{\vec{p}}(\vec{x}) \exp[-\mathrm{i} E_{\vec{p}}(t-t_0)/\hbar] \tilde{\psi}_0(\vec{p}).$$

Likes bhobba and (deleted member)
vanhees71 said:
I'm a bit insecure what you mean with your "initial conditions" and most of the rest of your posting, but let's briefly discuss free non-relativistic electrons. $$

Thanks for the fantastic answer!

I will need some time to go through this. Thanks a lot!

Likes bhobba

What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum mechanical system over time. It was first proposed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926.

What are free electrons?

Free electrons are electrons that are not bound to an atom or molecule. They are able to move freely within a material and are responsible for the flow of electric current.

Why is it important to solve the Schrödinger equation for free electrons?

Solving the Schrödinger equation for free electrons allows us to understand and predict their behavior in various materials, such as conductors and semiconductors. This knowledge is crucial for many technological applications, including electronics and energy storage.

How is the Schrödinger equation solved for free electrons?

The Schrödinger equation is a complex mathematical equation that can be solved using various methods, such as the finite difference method, the finite element method, and variational methods. These methods involve approximations and numerical techniques to find solutions to the equation.

What are some challenges in solving the Schrödinger equation for free electrons?

One of the main challenges in solving the Schrödinger equation for free electrons is the high computational cost. This is due to the large number of variables and complex calculations involved. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions can also be affected by the approximations and numerical methods used.