1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving the SDE [itex]dX(t) = udt + \sigma X(t)dB(t)[/itex]

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    **Provided Question**

The SDE is [itex]dX(t) = udt + \sigma X(t)dB(t)[/itex]. Find [itex]X(t)[/itex], where [itex]X(t)[/itex] is some stochastic process and [itex]B(t)[/itex] is a Wiener process. Both [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex] are constants.

*Hint*: Multiply both sides by the "integrating factor" [itex]e^{-\sigma B(t) + \frac12 \sigma^2 t}[/itex].

**Current Progress**

Multiplying both sides by the appropriate integrating factor:

[itex]
    \exp{\big( -\sigma B(t) + \frac12 \sigma^2t\big)}dX(t) = \exp{\big(-\sigma B(t)+\frac12\sigma^2t\big)}(udt + \sigma X(t)dB(t))
    [/itex]

Then set [itex]f(t,x,b):=\exp{\big( -\sigma B(t) + \frac12 \sigma^2t\big)}X(t)[/itex] and apply Ito's formula. Some of the required results before actually applying Ito's formula:

[itex]
    \frac{df}{dt} = \frac12\sigma^2 X(t)e^{-\sigma B(t) + \frac12 \sigma^2t} \\
    \frac{df}{dx} = e^{-\sigma B(t) + \frac12 \sigma^2t} \\
    \frac{df}{db} = -\sigma X(t)e^{-\sigma B(t) + \frac12 \sigma^2t} \\
    \frac{d^2f}{dx^2} = 0 \\
    \frac{d^2f}{db^2} = \sigma^2 X(t) e^{-\sigma B(t) + \frac12 \sigma^2t} \\
    \frac{d^2f}{dxdb} = -\sigma e^{-\sigma B(t) + \frac12 \sigma^2t}
    [/itex]

Given this, we need to know the following derivatives of the quadratic variations and co-variations:

[itex]
    d\langle B\rangle_t = dt \\
    d\langle X,B\rangle_t = ???
    [/itex]

**My Request**

Please instruct me on what [itex]d\langle X,B\rangle_t[/itex] is equal to so that I may progress further with this problem.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?