1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving this limit

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim x→2
    (4-(√18-x)) / (x-2)

Note that the square root goes over the 18 AND the x, not just the 18.

I don't know how to use the fancy mathematical notation on this forum and I have no idea where to go to find out how to use it.

2. Relevant equations
    There are absolutely NO relevant equations. ZERO!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I multiplied the numerator and the denominator by the conjugate of the numerator, because direct substitution would yield an indeterminate. However, after distributing, direct substitution of 2 still gave me an indeterminate.

Here is my distribution
    (16-(18-x)) / (4x-x(√18-x)-8+(√18-x))

How can I further simplify this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

Have you learned about L'Hoptial's rule yet?

4. Nov 16, 2014 #3
    Don't FOIL the denominator. Simplify the numerator. You should see a fairly easy cancellation.

5. Nov 16, 2014 #4
    No, I haven't!

I think I see what you mean, but doesn't 16-(18-x) simplify to (-2 - x)? My denominator has (x-2) in it.

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5
    You didn't distribute the minus sign.

7. Nov 16, 2014 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For problems like this, L'Hopital's rule is often ineffective. The approach taken by the OP is the better way to go here.

8. Nov 16, 2014 #7
    DUH. Can't believe I forgot to do that. Makes much more sense now.

However, after I simplify and cancel, I'm left with a denominator that = 0 when x = 2.

-1 / (4 - (√18 - x))

After I graphed it, I found there's no limit. (Approaching positive and negative infinity) However, how do I algebraically prove that there is no limit in a function? Sorry for all of these questions - I'm studying limits on my own so I might be missing certain important concepts here and there.

9. Nov 16, 2014 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think you made a mistake. You should end up with 4 + √(18 - x) in the denominator.

Note the parentheses I used to indicate that what's under the radical is 18 - x, not just 18.

10. Nov 22, 2014 #9
    I would start with making a replacement [itex]y=x-2[/itex]. You can further simplify this by taking [itex]z=\frac{y}{16}[/itex]. After that just follow the way you did before, but the expression should look much more pleasant now.

11. Nov 22, 2014 #10
    Multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of ##4 - \sqrt{18-x}##. From there, it should work out if you simplify everything right.

12. Nov 22, 2014 #11
    Never mind, I didn't see that you had already tried that.

13. Nov 22, 2014 #12

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Click "info", "help/how-to" and "latex primer"...or use this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted