1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Solving This Polynomial

1. May 5, 2016 #1
    I want to keep this question conceptual and qualitative (for now).
    I have the following polynomial

$$\frac{(ar-1)(ar-2)(ar-3)(ar-4)(ar-5)}{(r-1)(r-2)(r-3)(r-4)(r-5)} = P$$
    where [itex]r[/itex] is the variable I'd like to solve for and [itex]P[/itex], [itex]a[/itex] are just real constants.

I was wondering whether or not I could use De Moivre's Theorem here. Is there an easier way I can go about solving for [itex]r[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First off, that's not a polynomial, which generally looks like this: ##a_nx^n + a_{n - 1}x^{n - 1} + \dots + a_2x^2 + a_1x + a_0##.
    Your function is a rational function, the quotient of two polynomials. In your case, both the numerator and denominator are fifth-degree polynomials.

Regarding your question, I don't think it's possible to solve algebraically for r in the equation you posted, although you can possibly find an approximate solution using some numerical technique.

I don't see how de Moivre's Theorem is even applicable here...

4. May 5, 2016 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

There are special cases to consider.

If [itex]a = 1[/itex] and [itex]P \neq 1[/itex] there are no solutions. If [itex]a =1[/itex] and [itex]P = 1[/itex] there are infinitely many solutions.

If [itex]a \in \{2,3,4,5\}[/itex] then linear factors can be cancelled from numerator and denominator. This reduces the problem to solving a polynomial which is of no higher degree than 4; this can always be done analytically.

For all other values of [itex]a[/itex] you will have to solve a quintic, and in general it is not possible to solve quintics analytically. But the case [itex]P = 0[/itex] is trivial, as your quintic is then already factored.

5. May 5, 2016 #4
    Is there a numerical method to solve something like this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted