Solving Trig Integrals help

In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of cos^6(x) and the attempt at a solution involved breaking down the powers of cosine and using the half-angle identities. However, this did not lead to a solution and an alternative strategy is suggested using the double-angle formula for cosine. This will eventually lead to a polynomial with powers of cosine and the integration of cos(kx) is known, making the problem easier to solve.
Totalderiv

Homework Statement

[itex]\int cos^6(x)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]1 = sin^2(x) + cos^2(x)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\int cos(x) * cos^5(x)[/itex]
[itex]\int cos(x) * (cos^2(x))^3[/itex]
[itex]\int cos(x) * (1-sin^2(x))^3[/itex]

This is where I got lost, we just started this topic and I have a lot of homework to do, but I can't get past this question. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second step is not algebraically correct. Check your exponential rules. You are using the right strategy for solving this integral, but is there another breakdown of powers you can try instead of first and fifth powers of cosine?

I could either do

[itex]\int cos^3(x) * cos^3(x)[/itex]

or

[itex]\int (cos^2(x))^2 * cos^2(x)[/itex]

or

[itex]\int cos^4(x) * cos^2(x)[/itex]

I have tried all of these, but couldn't get an answer unless I'm supposed to use the half-angle identities. Any one have a clue on how I should split this up?

Totalderiv said:
I could either do

[itex]\int cos^3(x) * cos^3(x)[/itex]

or

[itex]\int (cos^2(x))^2 * cos^2(x)[/itex]

or

[itex]\int cos^4(x) * cos^2(x)[/itex]

I have tried all of these, but couldn't get an answer unless I'm supposed to use the half-angle identities. Any one have a clue on how I should split this up?

You won't be able to get any of those to work, since you will have difficulty locating something to use as a differential for the integral.

When you have even powers of sine or cosine, we use a handy "trick"* based on the "double-angle formula" for cosine:

[tex] \cos(2 \theta) = \cos^{2}\theta - \sin^{2}\theta = 1 - 2\sin^{2}\theta = 2\cos^{2}\theta - 1 , [/tex]

these last two forms coming from applying the Pythagorean Identity. We now have

[tex] \cos(2 \theta) = 1 - 2\sin^{2}\theta \Rightarrow \sin^{2}\theta = \frac{1}{2} [ 1 - \cos(2 \theta) ] [/tex]

and

[tex] \cos(2 \theta) = 2\cos^{2}\theta - 1 \Rightarrow \cos^{2}\theta = \frac{1}{2} [ 1 + \cos(2 \theta) ] [/tex]

*A "trick" is a method that only works for certain special problems...

You now write your integral as [itex] \int cos^{6} x dx = \int ( cos^{2} x )^{3} dx [/itex] , and substitute the expression for "cosine-squared". You are going to get a polynomial with powers of cos(2x) ; for the term [cos(2x)]2 , you use this substitution again , which is going to lead to a term with cos(2 · 2x) or cos(4x) , and so on.

As a hint of what to expect, even powers of sine or cosine lead to a sum of terms involving sine or cosine of even multiples of the original angle. You will have terms up to cos(6x) here. But the point of using this "trick" is that we do know how to integrate cos(kx)...

1. How do I approach solving trigonometric integrals?

When solving trigonometric integrals, it is important to first identify the type of trigonometric function present in the integral. This could be sine, cosine, tangent, or a combination of these functions. Then, you can use trigonometric identities and substitution techniques to simplify the integral and solve for the unknown variable.

2. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving integrals?

Some common trigonometric identities used in solving integrals include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half-angle identities. These identities can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. What is the process for using substitution in trigonometric integrals?

Substitution is a useful technique for solving trigonometric integrals. To use substitution, you need to identify a part of the integral that can be replaced by a single variable. This variable can then be substituted into the integral, simplifying it and making it easier to solve.

4. How do I determine the limits of integration in trigonometric integrals?

The limits of integration in a trigonometric integral depend on the specific problem. In some cases, the limits may be given in the problem. In other cases, you may need to use properties of the trigonometric function to determine the limits. It is important to carefully consider the problem and determine the appropriate limits for the integral.

5. What are some tips for solving tricky trigonometric integrals?

Some tips for solving tricky trigonometric integrals include using trigonometric identities, breaking down the integral into smaller parts, and trying different substitution techniques. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties of trigonometric functions and how they can be manipulated to simplify the integral.