Trig Identity: Solving Cos(x/2) = 1/2 and the Proper Use of Plus or Minus

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the trigonometric identity Cos(x/2)= +- (1+Cosx/2)^(1/2) and how to determine whether to use the plus or minus sign. It is mentioned that the positive sign is used because of the positive 1/2. The conversation then explores different methods for solving the equation, with one person suggesting to solve for y first and then substitute back to solve for x, while another suggests using the inverse cosine function. It is noted that using the inverse cosine function will give two possible values for x, and to find all other values, the formula {arccos + n*pi | n <- Z} can be used. There is also a mention of
Miike012
Cos(x/2) = 1/2

Trig Identity: Cos(x/2)= +- (1+Cosx/2)^(1/2) ..How do you know wheather to use the plus or minus of (1+Cosx/2)^(1/2) ? Do you only use the positive one because of the positive 1/2?
Anyways...

((1+Cosx)/2)^(1/2) = 1/2

(1+Cosx)/2 = 1/4

1+Cosx = 1/2

Cosx = -1/2

Ref Angle is pi/3 --> Cos is neg in Quad 2 and 3
Thus x Must be 2pi/3 and 4pi/3

However... in the back of the book it says the answers are 2pi/3 and 10pi/3...
How did I not come up with 10pi/3? what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't the way you want to solve the problem. Let y=x/2, solve for y, then substitute back to solve for x.

Why don't you just Arccos both sides from the beginning? (I assume you capitalized Cos to mean the principal cosine)

Apphysicist said:
Why don't you just Arccos both sides from the beginning? (I assume you capitalized Cos to mean the principal cosine)

This will only give you one value of x. However, we want all possibilities for x.

Apphysicist and Mentallic are both right on this one. Taking the arccos first will give you two answers since cos is positive in two quadrants. Not quite sure what gb7nash is talking about.

Edit:

I just reread the original post. You're right. :smile:

If no info was given besides the equation though, arccos would only give you one value. To find all other values though:

{arccos + n*pi | n <- Z}

Last edited:

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles and is important in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a fundamental concept in trigonometry that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

How do I use trigonometric ratios to solve problems?

To use trigonometric ratios to solve problems, you must first identify the right triangle and label the sides and angles. Then, you can use the sine, cosine, and tangent ratios (opposite/hypotenuse, adjacent/hypotenuse, and opposite/adjacent respectively) to find missing sides or angles.

What is the unit circle in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 that is used in trigonometry to define the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for any angle. It is centered at the origin and has a circumference of 2π.

How can I check my answers when solving trig problems?

You can check your answers by using a calculator to evaluate the trigonometric functions for the given angle or by using the inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle for a given ratio. Additionally, you can use geometric properties of triangles to verify your solutions.