1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving trigonometric limits

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

solve the following limit: [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{x+sinx}{2x-sin3x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the principle of solving all sorts of limits but not trig limits, and since we just started trig limits it's still not clear to me, but i think to solve it we have to separate it then solve but i don't know. Any help on how to start please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know l'Hopital's rule?

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    No haven't learned it can you fill me on it please?

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with Taylor series ?

Added in Edit:

Better yet:
    multiply by (1/x) over (1/x) .​

6. Feb 21, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You may not have covered it yet so you may be expected to do it a different way. Divide the numerator and denominator by x. Now you probably do know the limit sin(x)/x. Try to use that to find the limits of the terms.

7. Feb 21, 2012 #6
    No sorry i'm not familiar with taylor series, but i know that for l'hospital's rule we have to take the derivative of the numerator and the derivative of the denominator; but i have never learned derivatives so i can't do that. Is it possible to solve it some other way?

8. Feb 21, 2012 #7
    Ok the derivative of x+sinx is cosx+1 and how about the bottom?

9. Feb 21, 2012 #8
    ok i counted and found the limit to be -2 is that correct?

10. Feb 21, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if you used l'Hopital then you might check whether that is allowed. Otherwise you should try doing it using that the limit of sin(x)/x is 1.

11. Feb 21, 2012 #10
    Yea thank you very much I get the trick. It's the same for almost all of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook