Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving two coupled PDE from a quantum problem

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    Hello Guys.
    I have to solve two coupled PDE coming from a quantum physical problem, which possess a cylindrical symmetry. They look like this
    [itex]\left\{-\frac{i\hbar}{2M}\left( D^2_\rho + \frac{1}{\rho}D_\rho + D^2_z - \frac{L_z^2}{\hbar^2 \rho^2} \right) + \frac{M\omega^2_\rho \rho^2}{2} + \frac{M\omega^2_z z^2}{2} + g\psi^2_0 - \mu \right\} f^+_\nu = \epsilon_\nu f^-_\nu[/itex]
    [itex]\left\{-\frac{i\hbar}{2M}\left( D^2_\rho + \frac{1}{\rho}D_\rho + D^2_z - \frac{L_z^2}{\hbar^2 \rho^2} \right) + \frac{M\omega^2_\rho \rho^2}{2} + \frac{M\omega^2_z z^2}{2} + 3g\psi^2_0 - \mu \right\} f^-_\nu = \epsilon_\nu f^+_\nu[/itex]

where
    [itex]f^{+,-}_\nu = f^{+,-}_\nu(\rho, z, \phi) [/itex]

[itex] D_x \equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex]

[itex] \psi_0^2 = \frac{\mu}{g} \left(1 - \frac{\rho^2}{R^2_\rho} - \frac{z^2}{R^2_z}\right)[/itex]

[itex] L_z [/itex] is the projection of the angular momentum operator, which operates like this on his eigenfunctions:
    [itex] L_z (\frac{\exp{(im\phi)}}{\sqrt(2\pi)}) = \hbar m \frac{\exp{(im\phi)}}{\sqrt(2\pi)}[/itex]

and [itex]\hbar, M, \omega_\rho, \omega_z, R_\rho, R_z, \epsilon_\nu [/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex] are constants.

Actually, I have to find the energies [itex]\epsilon[/itex].
    I would like to use the fact that I know how the operator Lz acts, but also, I know how the operator on the z coordinate acts. I would like to end up with only a radial equation on ρ.
    To be clearer, I rewrite the equations like this (grouping operators acting on different variables, and plugging the expression for [itex]\psi_0[/itex]):

[itex]\left\{-\frac{i\hbar}{2M}\left( D^2_\rho + \frac{1}{\rho}D_\rho \right) + \frac{M\omega^2_\rho \rho^2}{2} -\frac{\rho^2}{R_\rho} \right\} f^+_\nu +\left\{ -\frac{i\hbar}{2M} D^2_z + \frac{M\omega^2_z z^2}{2} -\frac{z^2}{R_z}\right\}f^+_\nu -\frac{i\hbar}{2M} \left\{-\frac{L_z^2}{\hbar^2 \rho^2} \right\}f^+_\nu= \epsilon_\nu f^-_\nu[/itex]

And here comes my question. I know how Lz acts on his eigenfunctions, but I also know how the operator on z acts on his eigenfunctions ( because it is the 1D quantum oscillator).
    Then, am I allowed to write the solution in the following way?
    [itex]f^{+,-}_\nu = \sum_{m} \sum_{n} f^{+,-}_{n,m,\nu}(\rho) \psi_n(z) \frac{\exp{(im\phi)}}{\sqrt(2\pi)}[/itex]

where
    [itex] \psi_n(z) [/itex] are the eigenfunctions of the harmonic oscillator?

If this is possible, the equation will be simplified in a 1D equation in ρ, replacing the harmonic operator in z, and the operator Lz with their eigenvalues.
    Thanks for the attention.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted