1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving two-point BVP

1. Jan 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the Green's function for the following problem
    $$-u'' + cu = f$$ in the domain D = (0,1) with BC's [itex] u(0)=u(1)=0 [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    The Green's function is given by
    $$G(x,y) =\begin{cases}
    \frac{1}{W} u_0(x)u_1(y), &\text{for } 0 \leq y \leq x \leq 1, \\
    \frac{1}{W} u_0(x)u_1(y), &\text{for } 0 \leq x \leq y \leq 1.
    \end{cases} $$
    Where W is the Wronskian of the solutions to the homogeneous equation [itex]u_0, u_1[/itex], where [itex]u_0, u_1[/itex] satisfy the boundary conditions [itex]u_0(0)=1, u_0(1)=0, u_1(0)=0, u_1(1)=1[/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I am able to find the Green's function assuming [itex]c = const [/itex].
    To find the fundamental solutions, we solve the homogenous equation [itex] -u'' + cu = 0 [/itex].
    The fundamental solutions are [itex]e^{\sqrt{c}x}, e^{-\sqrt{c}x}[/itex]. To satisfy the boundary conditions, choose the appropriate linear combination of these fundamental solutions. After a little algebra, I get:
    $$u_0(x) = \frac{1}{1 - e^{2\sqrt{c}}}e^{\sqrt{c}x} + \frac{-e^{2\sqrt{c}}}{1-e^{2\sqrt{c}}))}e^{-\sqrt{c}x}$$
    $$u_1(x) = \frac{1}{e^{\sqrt{c}} - e^{-\sqrt{c}}}e^{\sqrt{c}x} + \frac{1}{e^{-\sqrt{c}} - e^{\sqrt{c}}}e^{-\sqrt{c}x}$$

I know this is all correct (plugged in and verified my solutions).
    The question I have is for c not a constant, i.e. c = c(x). Since the problem does not specify whether c is constant or a function, I would assume that it could be a function... The DE becomes
    $$ -u'' + c(x)u = f $$
    This would require getting the fundamental solutions by solving
    $$ -u'' + c(x)u = 0 $$
    which I am unsure of how to do for an arbitrary function c(x). There are certain methods for certain types of functions of c(x), but does anyone have a clue on how to solve this ODE for a general c(x)? If not do you think the problem could be referring to a constant c (in the actual chapter the author usually takes the coefficient to be an arbitrary function)? By the way, the book is numerical PDE's by Larrson

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no general way of solving that for any function c(x). By the way, finding Green's function for the case c constant can by simplified by using cosh(cx) and sinh(cx) rather than [itex]e^{cx}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-cx}[/itex] .

4. Jan 9, 2016 #3
    Ohh alright, thanks. I'll try that instead :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted