1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving vector components

1. Jun 14, 2016 #1
    • Member warned about posting with no template and no effort
    An upward force of magnitude 30N is combined with a second force F which makes an angle of 10degree with the horizontal. The resultant makes an anglre of 40degree with the horizontal.

a. Determine the magnitude of the second force
    b. Determine the magnitude of the resultant

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2016 #2
    Where is your attempt?

4. Jun 14, 2016 #3
    I have no idea how to do it

5. Jun 14, 2016 #4
    I would start with a sketch of the vectors.

6. Jun 14, 2016 #5
    IN fact if you make a good scale diagram, you could answer the question pretty closely and I think it would give you a good feel for the algebraic approach,

7. Jun 14, 2016 #6
    Ok this is my diagram. Then what?

Attached Files:

8. Jun 14, 2016 #7
    Well, if you made it to scale, you could just measure the lines now and that would be your answer. But if you are required to come up with an algebraic answer perhaps some trig can help you here. Can you think of some trigonometry that could help you find the sides of that shape?

9. Jun 14, 2016 #8
    How can i draw to scale if i dont know the 2nd force?

10. Jun 14, 2016 #9
    By using a protractor. :)

11. Jun 14, 2016 #10
    Wh
    What about the length of 2nd force? The magnitude is yet to be calculated

12. Jun 14, 2016 #11
    As long as the angles in the triangle are all the same, it doesn't matter what the size of the triangle is, it will be similar to a triangle that I draw with the exact same angles. If I know one side, then I use a scale, we will get the same answer for the lengths. That's the "magic" of similar triangles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted