Solving Verhulst Equation

• Thread starter gpax42
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement is that you should solve the Verhulst equation for logistic population growth using methods for solving differential equations exactly. However, you may be able to solve the equation more accurately by separating the P and t variables and integrating both sides.
gpax42
Hi all, it's been a over a year since I took my differential equations and linear algebra course and I'm currently enrolled in a class that assigned this problem as a sort of refresher on analytically solving differential equations. I can't seem to remember the proper approach to going about all this and I'm no longer in possession of my textbook from the previous course. Any help would be greatly appreciated :redface:

Homework Statement

Using methods for solving differential equations exactly, solve the Verhulst equation for logistic population growth

[tex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/tex]= rP(1 - [tex]P/K[/tex])

where r is the growth rate and K is the carrying capacity.

The attempt at a solution

I began by altering the equation so as to create a more solvable form...

Dividing through by K on both sides gives me

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex][tex]\frac{P}{K}[/tex] = r[tex]\frac{P}{K}[/tex](1 - [tex]P/K[/tex])

I then set x = [tex]P/K[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] = rx(1-x)

at this point I know I need to integrate both sides

dx = rx(1-x)dt
following integration...
x(t) = [rx(1-x)]t + C

is this even remotely correct?

Thanks again for any help you can lend me

-gpax42

Physics news on Phys.org
gpax42 said:
Hi all, it's been a over a year since I took my differential equations and linear algebra course and I'm currently enrolled in a class that assigned this problem as a sort of refresher on analytically solving differential equations. I can't seem to remember the proper approach to going about all this and I'm no longer in possession of my textbook from the previous course. Any help would be greatly appreciated :redface:

Homework Statement

Using methods for solving differential equations exactly, solve the Verhulst equation for logistic population growth

[tex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/tex]= rP(1 - [tex]P/K[/tex])

where r is the growth rate and K is the carrying capacity.

The attempt at a solution

I began by altering the equation so as to create a more solvable form...

Dividing through by K on both sides gives me

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex][tex]\frac{P}{K}[/tex] = r[tex]\frac{P}{K}[/tex](1 - [tex]P/K[/tex])

I then set x = [tex]P/K[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] = rx(1-x)

at this point I know I need to integrate both sides

dx = rx(1-x)dt
following integration...
x(t) = [rx(1-x)]t + C

is this even remotely correct?

-gpax42

No, it isn't. First, essentially changing the dependent variable from P to x accomplishes nothing except renaming it. Your x is an unknown function of t and its integral isn't xt.

You want to review separation of variables. Separate the P and t:

[tex]\frac {dP}{P(1-P)}= \frac r K dt[/tex]

Then integrate both sides. You will want to use partial fractions on the left side.

ahhh I see... when I separated variables, however, I found...

[tex]\int[/tex]dP/[P(1-P/k)] = [tex]\int[/tex]rdt

I then manipulated the left side to read

K/[P(K-P)] ... after partial fractions... = 1/P + 1/(K-P)

int[1/P + 1/(K-P) )dP] = int[rdt]

following through with integration leads to

ln(abs(P/(K-P))) = rt + C

e^(rt + C) = abs[P/(K-P)]

e^(-rt-C) = abs[(K-P)/P]

+/- e^(-rt) * e^(-C) = K/P - 1

if you let M = +/- e^(-C)
then
M*e^(-rt) = K/P - 1

solving further...

P(t) = K / (1+Me^(-rt))

at t = 0 ; P = P0

P0 = K / (1+M)

M =( K - P0 ) / P0

1. What is the Verhulst Equation and what does it represent?

The Verhulst Equation, also known as the logistic equation, is a mathematical model used to describe the growth of a population over time. It takes into account the carrying capacity of the environment and assumes that the population will eventually reach a stable equilibrium.

2. What are the key assumptions behind the Verhulst Equation?

The Verhulst Equation assumes that the population growth rate is directly proportional to the size of the population and that there is a maximum limit to the population size, known as the carrying capacity. It also assumes that the carrying capacity remains constant over time.

3. How is the Verhulst Equation solved?

The Verhulst Equation can be solved using various methods, including analytical solutions, numerical solutions, and graphical solutions. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact formula for the population over time, while numerical solutions use algorithms to approximate the solution. Graphical solutions involve plotting the equation on a graph to visualize the population growth.

4. What are the applications of the Verhulst Equation?

The Verhulst Equation is commonly used in ecology, biology, and economics to model population growth. It can also be applied to other areas, such as epidemiology, to predict the spread of diseases. Additionally, the Verhulst Equation has been used in marketing to model the adoption of new products by consumers.

5. What are the limitations of the Verhulst Equation?

The Verhulst Equation is a simplified model that does not take into account various factors that can affect population growth, such as environmental changes, competition, and migration. It also assumes a constant carrying capacity, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Therefore, the Verhulst Equation should be used with caution and in conjunction with other models to make accurate predictions.