Solving for x in ln and e equations | Homework Help

• Thread starter math007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ln
In summary, the conversation focused on solving for x in the equation ln(1+e^-x)=-x+2. The process involved manipulating the equation, raising both sides to e, and using the properties of logarithms to simplify it to x=ln(e^2-1). The conversation also touched on the definition of natural logarithms and the relationship between e and ln.
math007

Homework Statement

I need to solve x:
ln (1+e^-x)=-x+2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ln (1+e^-x)=-x+2
x+ln (1+1/e^x)=2
x+ln (e^x/e^x+1/e^x)=2
x+ln ((e^x+1)/e^x)=2
x+ln (e^x+1)-ln(e^x)=2
x+ln (e^x+1)-x=2
ln (e^x+1)=2im stuck here.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps try raising e to both sides of the equation? ##e^{lhs}=e^{rhs}##

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Perhaps try raising e to both sides of the equation? ##e^{lhs}=e^{rhs}##
sorry I don't really understand.

ln (e^x+1)=2...
##e^{ln(e^x+1)}=e^2##

In my previous post, lhs was left hand side and rhs was right hand side. That'll come up from time to time, so it wouldn't hurt to keep that in mind.

BiiyElLoWhAt said:
ln (e^x+1)=2...
##e^{ln(e^x+1)}=e^2##
where can I read about the rules/ methods to solve ln /e equation because this is confusing me I don't know what to do. :'(

math007 said:
where can I read about the rules/ methods to solve ln /e equation because this is confusing me I don't know what to do. :'(
How would you define the natural log of say a variable called y?

To add to chet, define it in words, not maths, but of course using some math termonology, such as exponents and whatnot.

Chestermiller said:
How would you define the natural log of say a variable called y?
ln (y)?

yes
define it in words.

Likes Chestermiller
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
yes
define it in words.
the exponential form of y?

What is the natural log of y? If I punch ##ln(1)## in my calculator, it returns a 0, why is the answer 0? what does the 0 represent?

Fill in the blanks: The natural log of y is the power to which you have to raise ____ to get ___.

Chet

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
to raise e to get y

ln (e^y)=yln e=y

Ahhh, so ln(y) is the exponent that I can put on e to get y? So what happens if I take that exponent and stick it on e? what do I get? ##e^{ln(y)}=?##

math007 said:
to raise e to get y

ln (e^y)=yln e=y
Good. Now going back to post #4, fill in the blanks: ##\ln(1+e^x)## is the power to which you have to raise ____ to get _____.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Good. Now going back to post #4, fill in the blanks: ##\ln(1+e^x)## is the power to which you have to raise ____ to get _____.

Chet
Chestermiller said:

Chet
raise e to get ln (1+e^x)
e^(ln (1+e^x))
then e and ln can cancels? to get 1+e^x

OK. Good. Now, if you combine this result with the equation in post #4, what do you get for x?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
OK. Good. Now, if you combine this result with the equation in post #4, what do you get for x?

Chet
math007 said:
raise e to get ln (1+e^x)
e^(ln (1+e^x))
then e and ln can cancels? to get 1+e^x
e^x+1=e^2
e^x=e^2-1
lne^x=ln (e^2-1)
x=ln (e^2-1)

math007 said:
e^x+1=e^2
e^x=e^2-1
lne^x=ln (e^2-1)
x=ln (e^2-1)
Excellent!

Chestermiller said:
Excellent!
awesome thank you so much for the help :-)

math007 said:
awesome thank you so much for the help :-)
Most of the thanks should go to Bigyellowwhat.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Ahhh, so ln(y) is the exponent that I can put on e to get y? So what happens if I take that exponent and stick it on e? what do I get? ##e^{ln(y)}=?##
thanks so much for the help man. I really appreciate it :-)

Anytime :wink:

What is ln and e?

Ln and e are mathematical functions frequently used in calculus and algebra. Ln, or natural logarithm, is the inverse of the exponential function, while e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

How do I solve for x in ln and e equations?

To solve for x in ln and e equations, you can use algebraic manipulation and logarithm properties. For example, if you have an equation ln(x) = 3, you can exponentiate both sides with e to get x = e^3. Alternatively, you can use the definition of ln as the inverse of e^x to rewrite the equation as x = e^(ln(3)).

What is the domain and range of ln and e?

The domain of ln and e is all real numbers. However, the range of ln is restricted to negative infinity to infinity, while the range of e is restricted to positive infinity to infinity.

Can I use ln and e in any type of equation?

Yes, ln and e can be used in a variety of equations, including exponential equations, logarithmic equations, and even some trigonometric equations. However, it is important to check the domain and range of these functions to ensure the solutions are valid.

Do I need to memorize the values of ln and e?

No, you do not need to memorize the values of ln and e. These values can easily be found on a calculator or by using a mathematical table. However, it is helpful to know that ln(e) = 1 and e^ln(x) = x, which can be used to simplify some equations.