Solving x^{n}+a=mod(b) (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

If a,b,n are integers..how could you solve:

[tex] x^{n}+a=mod(b) [/tex] n>0 and integer..

If possible please put an "step by step" example..i have managed to solve the linear congruence

[tex] ax=bmod(c) [/tex] but i don't know how to solve "upper" congruences..thanks.

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I really don't know what you're asking. I presume the question you've already solved is [tex]ax\equiv b\pmod c[/tex] but I'm not sure what your first is. Depending on what you mean, you might be able to use reciprocity.

Last edited:
i know how to solve for n=1 then i would like to know how to solve the special case y proposed....

- By the way...are not there "approximate" or numerical method to calculate the set of the solutions?..

matt grime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If you can solve for any x other than 1 (or 2) easily then you've just proven RSA easy to break. Come on, Jose, think for a second before posting a question: taking roots mod c is hard, and that's the whole point of RSA.

- I don't know why is the "congruence" [tex] x^{n}=amod(b) [/tex] for n>1 in fact it's nothing but a Monomial..you could calculate all the roots of [tex] x^{n}-a=0 [/tex] easily and from this find a solution... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

matt grime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Then why don't you 'just do it'? You really ought to get straight in your mind what a function is, what an algorithm to find a value of said function is, and what you consider to be a reasonable cost for carrying out the algorithm, and then state what that is.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
lokofer said:
i know how to solve for n=1 then i would like to know how to solve the special case y proposed....

- By the way...are not there "approximate" or numerical method to calculate the set of the solutions?..
What would be an "approximation" to an integer?

-For example "Hallfosftivy"..a solution to the (general ) congruence:

[tex] f(x)=amod(x) [/tex] (for example) is the solution to the "equation" (non-linear) in the form:

[tex] [\frac{f(x)-a}{x}]-\frac{f(x)-a}{x}=0 [/tex] or if we define the function:

[tex] <x>=x-[x] [/tex] where "[x] " is the floor function then:

[tex] <\frac{f(x)-a}{x}>=0 [/tex] so from this you could calculate all the "roots" (integers) and solution to the initial congruence...

matt grime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Go on then. Do it. Show that it's better than a simple exhastive search through phi(c) options, (or c-1 if you don't know the factorization of c).

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving